Forum home Plants

Sowing Calendula Seeds Now ?

harmonyharmony Posts: 261
Hi, i'm wanting advice on sowing Calendula seeds for early flowering next year. I have grown calendula seeds this year planting them out in late May / early June and I have fallen in love they are beautiful, I am hoping they will self seed next year but i'm still deadheading to keep them flowering as long as possible ( when do you stop deadheading ). I have 2 small patches of spare soil to sow the seeds (given to me by a kind person on this forum) so just need advice on how and when, my dream is to have a garden full of beautiful old fashioned marigolds 😍. Thanks

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Sow them anytime, some will germinate in the autumn and stay small until spring then start growing again.  Some will wait until spring to germinate.  The older plants will flower earlier.  Sow them at intervals for a long flowering season.  Leave some dead heads on the plants to ripen the seeds, and collect them when they're brown and dry.  They will probably self-seed, but it's a good idea to collect some to fill in any gaps.
  • harmonyharmony Posts: 261
    Thankyou.