Forum home Plants

Roman Tree

2 years ago I purchased a rowan tree I wanted it for the profusion of red berries as advertised on the label.Since then I have seen no flowers or berries.I have contacted the company who have told me to be patient.Is this correct or have I been sold a tree which will never bear any berries ?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,471
    How big is it and where have you planted it?

Trees can take a while to get their roots established and then grow to a size where they're happy to produce flowers and fruits.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,912
    Do you know the variety or species ?  There are a great many .
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    edited August 2018
    I bought a Rowan Sorbus Chinese Lace many years ago and I thought it would never berry. It took years but it's fine now.
    I bought two different ones as wee skinny whips and they are flowering and berrying like mad already so it depends very much on type.
  • This variety is called Amber Light and on the label it says that it is 2 years old .A typical Mountain Ash or Roman with particularly persistent red berries.
    It was supplied by pippin trees.

• I have planted it 2 years ago in my back garden and it is now approx. 8 to 9 feet tall. The leaves are healthy but no sign of berries.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,912
    An open position , slightly acidic soil and full sunshine are all beneficial .
    Some species have to get fairly large before flowering .
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    edited August 2018
    Have you kept it well watered since it was planted? Especially after this years weather, a few buckets a week? They seem to do best with lots of water available, the ones in Scotland are stunning.
  • Yes they are stunning in Scotland that is where we got our inspiration but sadly it was not to be I have kept it very well watered Many thanks everyone for your helpful comments
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Don't forget that cultivated varieties [of any plant] are usually less straightforward.  :)

Our native mountain ash is a hardy beast Maureen - it has to be!  ;)
    They'll grow in peaty, acid, wet conditions, and at height, quite happily. They'll also grow in the tops of large pieces of rock if there's a little bit of moss, but the named varieties are a wee bit more fussy, so a little more care is needed. It'll come good in time  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for your comment
    Fairygirl