Forum home Plants

Spring bulbs 2nd showing. Is this normal?

My spring bulbs look like they are having 2nd showing this year . The muscari are starting to sprout leaves again. What's going on? Anybody else experiencing this?

• KarenDKarenD North SomersetPosts: 20
    I noticed lots of new green growth yesterday in one bed and dismissed it as 'another weed I don't know the name of'. On closer inspection I agree with you Shelley, the muscari are growing again. No idea why though, hopefully someone here will be able to offer an explanation?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,312
    Muscari leaves usually appear in the autumn and they overwinter, then the blooms appear in the spring. What yours seeing is perfectly normal 🙂
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Ah, that explains it. Last year's growth was probably covered with rampant bindweed and not noticed. Thanks for telling us we're normal Dove, not a state I'm familiar with!
  • Yes my Muscari are all up too,thank you @Dove for providing the answer,I was about to look for buds!!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,863
    Mine too. No worries. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,312
    KarenD said:
    ...  Thanks for telling us we're normal Dove, not a state I'm familiar with!
    I’m not issuing a guarantee!!!😉
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

:D  
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 576
    The bindweed: You have to get every scrap of root out. Never give it a chance or it will overtake everything. The roots are white nd snap easy. If you leave bits in, then you get a plant for each bit. 
    Ah yes, the bindweed. Slowly winning one flower bed at a time. Although I'm running out of places to stand now the Muscari leaves are back!