Autumn/Winter Patio

Hi all,

I have a south east facing section of the patio that is sheltered by our kitchen extension and the neighbours new extension.

Im hoping to make it still welcoming as the weather turns cooler and wetter.  I’ve tried chimeneas but don’t notice the heat they give off - any ideas?

Ta,

TP

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,440

Jumpers/fleeces and thick socks! ;)

Or a firepit - they give out much more heat than a chimenea (but might not be suitable if you have small children running around).

• Tin potTin pot Posts: 763
    How about shelter? Are there tarpaulin type things that will help retain heat - or is that a waste of time outdoors?

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,427
    I would roof it with clear plastic sheets in order to keep the light and place a table and chairs there, a roof would also hold heat from the chimenea.   It would be a lovely outdoor space to sit in, even when the weather turns bad.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,358
    A perfect place as Mary says to roof it in to provide shelter when the weather is bad all year round.  Would the neighbour let you screw in the roof supports on his new extension (is he going to have it plastered as it's pretty ugly now)? If not you would have to fit stand alone supports with fixing plates screwed into your paving. 
    Possibly, I’d prefer something less permanent that doesn’t require much thought.  I was thinking of one of the relatively cheap marquees, with a cream colour so it’s not too dark and can be easily taken down and/or cleaned.
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/airwave-garden-gazebo-3x4-5m-beige_p491105

(With no sides)

I don’t know if they have any thermal properties or if it’s aftually dangerous to run a chimenea underneath.

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,427
    The marquee wouldn't be rain proof..........
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,258
    ...and you wouldn’t be able to use a fire pit or similar under it as it would be a fire risk. How about one of those outdoor patio heaters with circular hoods that direct the heat down, powered by a gas bottle? Not exactly eco-friendly but might be safer, especially with young kids.

I think the only thing that would provide shelter, some heat insulation and the ability to have a safe fire source with chimney would be a permanent roofed structure, but it would be expensive, you lose flexibility and probably quite a lot of light through your French windows.

We nearly bought a very expensive ‘Classique’ freestanding wooden pergola with a waterproofed fabric retractable roof from Unipiu but they mucked up the order.  Instead, we bought a (not waterproof) extending metal pergola on wheels for a sixth of the price from a diy store. One half rolls under the other if you want full sun. We are thinking of waterproofing the ‘permanent’ half over the table so we can use it on rainy days:

Would something similar work for you?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,358
    That looks good Nollie. I've seen nothing like that over here.  But what happens when it's windy, are the wheels lockable?
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,258
    Hi @Lizzie27 yes the wheels lock, and so far it’s endured some strong gusty winds (note it’s roped onto a ring in the wall as well, just in case!). It was 499€ from Leroy Merlin, a French diy chain, but it might be possible to construct similar from square section steel lengths and some castors if you are handy. The fabric isnt great, tbh, you can see where it’s sagged after a heavy rainstorm as the drainage slits in the fabric weren’t up to the job, so we will have to look at replacing that at some point.