Companion plant with Rosa Wedding Day Rambler

Hello, I have trained a Wedding Day Rambling rose over my pergola however its only in bloom for a short time and I was wondering what else I could grow alongside it to create a longer spell of colour. Many thanks

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,999
    edited August 2018
    One or more of the viticella clematis? Cut them almost to the ground each spring and let them get on with it for the rest of the season.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,805
    I agree.  Viticellas come in a wide range of flower colour and forms and different levels of vigour from 2.5m to 6 metres once established.

This is a list of viticellas for you to peruse - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemlist.cfm

but you could also check with Hawthorne nurseries and their website as Richard, who runs it, has a national collection of viticellas and can give personal advice.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • helen shelen s Posts: 5
    Thank you Hostafan1 and Obelixx for that advice.  I will certainly take a look at the Viticellas sounds a great idea.  Many thanks