Hiding gravel board & concrete fence posts

just don’t like them so constructed a wood block wall 350mm high to cover them up & painted the posts with masonry paint . 

Pleased with the results , now for the planting !! 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,358
    That's a jolly good idea.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    I'm going to steal it.
    I have a truly ugly little wall at the front of my house with half it's render off and a further quarter well on it's way.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,019
    Next door replaced a fence leaving exposed concrete gravel boards on our patio. There was ivy there already so I let it cover the boards but keep it very tightly pruned. It's just a matter of the odd snip now and again, but there were oniy four panels. I don't think it would work for a long stretch -too much effort.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    I stole that idea too before you even said it B3.  :D I planted ten little displaced ivy plants on Saturday.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    It’s gravel boards that are contributing hugely to the reduction in the number of hedgehogs... no way for them to get from one garden to another to feed and to meet other hedgehogs and make baby hedgehogs🦔 😥
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449
    It certainly looks better now but you have potentially given yourself a lot of extra work for the future.  Even masonry paint will fade and peel in time and it could start looking messier than plain concrete posts.  You also have all that timber to treat and if it is on the ground it's going to rot over time.
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    Do ensure that the soil does not touch your wooden slats otherwise you will find the rot and damp will creep up the boards :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,899
    I have to admit it looks good, we have concrete gravel boards, (am shocked how many supposedly "professional" landscapers dont bother to use them, ) ours are covered up with planting
  • Tiny01Tiny01 Posts: 68
    Thanks all , yes im well pleased with them , the wood blocks are treated & sit on a dpm membrane & I’ll be lining the inside with a breathable membrane from the face of the gravel board to the inside face of the woodblox wall , then it’s a matter of filling it up with some manure / soil & then get some plants in place :)