where to live norfolk or wales

We are selling up soon (by april at the latest)and getting out of the m25. We originally fell in love with a plot in Norfolk but couldn't sell at the time it was for sale. We are in love with Norfolk but fear to many of the m25 people we are trying to escape are going that way. Then their is wales an area we also love its cheaper we can afford more their are grants for holiday cottages and we can have more acres , but its a word Tha we will be those English people. Taking welsh small holdings. We just want poly tunnels pigs chickens and holiday cottages to live off. Any help or advice appreciated its a big move. I trust the opinions on here they are from people like me who love having dirty nails.

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 935
    I can’t help a great deal except to say one is known to be pretty wet and one pretty dry by comparison so that may influence your choice. Good luck on your venture. 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088
    I should look around for a property you like and forget whether it's Norfolk or Wales. 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,860
    I don't think the "anti-immigrant" sentiment in Wales is as bad as it once was.  By "Immigrant" I really mean anybody who wasn't born and bred in the area, and that can include people from a different part of Wales.  I would still be inclined to check the area out pretty thoroughly before committing to purchase.  If you aren't accepted you could be in for a pretty miserable life.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,217
    Ha ha, in the paper today....

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/aug/27/londoners-selling-up-in-record-numbers-to-move-north

I’d say look at your origins. Where did you grow up? I have known loads of people who moved to a seemingly idyllic area only to move “home” later on.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ninnin Posts: 216
    My problem here is I am not accepted family's been here since the 1500s and we are the ones who do not belong any more my lovely little town has become metro land shallow and greed filled its so sad I just want to live somewhere rural and have chickens again and a bigger veg patch as I never have enough room.
    Why not do a road trip?

We did that after upping sticks and going round the world in the early 1980s.

Came back to UK and didn’t want to go back to where we had lived before.

Toured around the entire country testing the reaction we got from the locals.

Sorry to say, not a great reception from the Welsh or those in Norfolk. Both “out on a limb” geographically and rather suspicious of “foreigners”.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088
    Your life is what you make it. Look to yourself, not relocation and others
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,888
    ... so Pansy, you got a good reaction in the Peak District and decided to stay?
    Well, I’m from Sheffield and my dad was a very keen walker so every weekend we were taken out into the Peak District and marched up hill and down dale.

Having spent forty years away from my roots, I was determined to return. Ish.

I became what is known locally as a Totley Tunneller. Totley is an area of Sheffield that has a railway tunnel linking it to Derbyshire and Sheffielders who go to live in Derbyshire are known as Totley Tunnellers.

Better than being known as Dee-dars, by the people of Barnsley. Sheffielders say Dee and Dah instead of Thee and Tha, or they used to until they began to speak estuary English with the advent lf TV. They now say “nuffink” and “init”.

The only fly in the ointment, when we decided to settle here, was that my memories were all childish ones of endless sunny days. Turns out that childish memories are not altogether accurate.😊
  • ninnin Posts: 216
    nutcutlet said:
    Your life is what you make it. Look to yourself, not relocation and others
    Yes but when your home has gone from semi rural to metro land and nobody you went to school with can live there and you get teased for growing veg like its something only weird hippies do ,its time to jack it in and relocate. To somewhere you can make the life you want with solar panels and polytunnels. Our values do not match those around us . I want to live where people appreciate the first new potato or pea and not shinny things .