How do I stop my apple tree from doing this?

Pruned it in March, cut it right back and its grown 1000's of small branches. Does it every time I trim it. How do I stop it happening please?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 13,570
    Stop doing it, is the simple answer.

Every time you hack back a branch, the tree tries to compensate for the loss by regrowing the branch.

Take a look at this page of Harry Baker’s book, “Growing Fruit”. Ignore the box that talks about plums.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 4,947
    The sentence above which says "winter pruning stimulates growth but summer pruning checks it" is so important.  If you hard prune in winter/early spring, you will indeed get loads of shoots produced as a result.
    When I was learning how to prune fruit trees I'd go around with secateurs in one hand and Harry Baker's book in the other...   ;)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Thanks. I might just have to chop the thing down then, it cuts out all the evening sun from our west facing garden  :(
    Well, that would be one way to prune it....
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,915
    When is the latest you can summer prune an apple tree please?
    While it’s still growing. This is about the end of the summer growing season so you could squeeze it in, I suppose.
  • So I take it I should chop the offshoots off now then? It's a mess, and there's only 3 apples on it anyway. :(