Large buzzing wasps

Over the last few days, nine o clock ish we are getting in the house large buzzing type wasps.they seem to be attracted by the light. Any ideas what they are ,never had these before.but last night got eight all at once .Took ages to catch  and  return them outside. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,038
    Sounds like hornets ... amazing  creatures and we love them  .. they are drawn to the light ... I've even seen them walk into the flame of a big burning garden candle/torch thing and immolate themselves.  :o

Just keep the curtains and windows closed as soon as you put the lights on.   :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• granmagranma Posts: 1,817
    thanks Dove hard at the moment, we leave the back door ajar so the dogs can get in and out.they don't seem to settle so it makes catching them a headache. I have wondered if they are nesting close by.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,038
    Any large oak trees nearby?  They're favourite nest sites for hornets.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• We had to get a man out to deal with our hornet visitors! They got into the loft,and dropped down into the kitchen fluorescent light.He got up on the roof and did something,but said it's important to get rid of the queen,as they will all follow her.
    He said they will all come back tonight,but when they realise she's not there they will leave. And blow me so they did! We watched them leave,never to come back.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,986
    The plus point with hornets granma is that they are not as aggressive as their smaller relatives and will only sting if provoked.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,817
    None have arrived tonight probably fed up of me putting them back outside!