What is this please?

We are in a kayak and found this by the river edge. Can we eat it?? 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,254
    edited August 2018
    viburnum opulus. I think it can by used to make jelly. Mr Google should help.
    Devon.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    Viburnum opulus aka Guelder rose. White flowers, red shiny berries and fabulous Autumn colour. A great all round plant.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,584
    I've got the red  and the yellow flowered version and they are both colouring up nicely. The birds leave the berries till after other things, like holly and cotoneaster, so they aren't top favourite, but it ensures a longer supply of food.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,097
    I don’t think the OP wants to buy a plant, just can they eat it on their travels.
    The fruit is edible in small quantities, with a very acidic taste; it can be used to make jelly. It is however very mildly toxic, and may cause vomiting or diarrhea if eaten in large amounts.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thank you all for your replies. We decided not to eat it whilst kayaking. But to collect the seeds for planting in the garden as it was so attractive. We used the ‘red for danger ‘ adage as it looked so red! And upset tummies in a kayak not a desirable outcome! 
    @Potty Lotty I too collected seeds once...then I read what needed to be done to make them germinate. 
    Good luck with that.  :D
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,848
    edited August 2018
    PP,😂
    Their natural “loosening” properties are obviously a built in dispersal method.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    edited August 2018
    Works for tomatoes too @pansyface ; :D
    Suffice to say I have these on order.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382216058470

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,848
    Blimey, you should have said.
    I have an enormous tree in my garden.
    Though “processing” would have had to be done by yourself.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    I could feed them to Wren but that would mean following her around with a sieve and she has quite a turn of speed.  :o