Forum home The potting shed

Times they are A Changing !

In my 20s a game of rugby 10 pints and dance or two and a drive home was Happiness !!

Now its managing to get a bottle of Malt Vinegar from T*sco on a Sunday to finish my Apple and Chilli Chutney.
Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,246
    edited August 2018
    I used to plant orange pips and hope for a tree.

Now I’m glad just to see a packet of annuals come into bloom.
    😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,537
    Try cider vinegar - much better flavour and good for you too.

I sowed some sunflowers PF.   The packet said 7 days to pop but most took longer and then were slow to grow to planting out size.  Half a dozen then curled up in the heatwave.  Of the remaining 8 or 9, two are now in flower and absolutely lovely with russetty colours.   Of the annual cornflowers, only 5 have survived and flowered.

Just have to try again next year as I only sowed annuals on the understanding they'd self seed.  Usually stick to perennials on the grounds that the effort is the same but the rewards last longer.   I have never sown an apple or orange pip.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,999
    Pansyface, my Hubby planted a grapefruit pip 20 years ago, its now a tree about 3 X 3, it flowered after 10 years, hasnt flowered since, its his pride and joy, huge big thick stem, people seeing it, never believe us. I used to have stuff growing in windsill propogators by our dining table every Sunday we had a grapefruit for breakfast, he pushed a pip into whatever else I was growing, also a lemon ip, that grow to about 12 inches tall then duddendly died, can be done!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,999
    Noticed yesterday, my sunflower Teddy Bear has just flowered, had given up on it
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,289
    My TeddyBears are just flowering as well.  Won’t do them next year, as ‘times are a changing’ I may not be here to see them bloom😀
    i have a spare unopened packet of seeds if anyone wants them. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• My beautiful teddy bear sunflowers always put a smile on my face. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,552
    They're lovely - and I can see them without waiting for them to load. Do they grow very tall?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,289
    edited August 2018
    Mine are no more than a foot tall.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,625
    edited August 2018
    Good as a Van Gogh.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,205
    They are gorgeous I must get some!