New Small Tree In Pot

Hi experts

I have just finished my new North facing drive with flag stones and want a small potted nice looking tree, about 6-8' tall max in a large pot. it will be close to the house so get very little sun light. I want to be easy-ish to manage but i dont mind maintenance...
I like magnolias but im always disappointed with the short flowering time...it does not have to be a tree...

R

• RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 52
    I'm growing mountain pepper/drimys aromatica in shade. It's an evergreen shrub and easy to maintain at a desired size.
  • An acer would be perfect  :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,866
    An Acer wuld be nice, are you looking for something that IS 6-8 or would end up that size, because an Acer that big would cost you a fortune
  • ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 117
    edited August 2018
    Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't the shade tolerant acers the green ones? Whereas the showy reds/colour changers a bit more demanding for sun?
  • Rich BRich B Posts: 107

8  foot max as i dont want to big pot, would 60 l be big enough for this??. Id like to buy a perfect size tree but i suppose ill have to let it grow as they do seem pretty pricey...
    I would rather some colour and maybe some flowers rather than green
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,048
    Acers are very thirsty plants. I have eventually had to put them in the ground well before they got to 8ft.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    How about an Acer Platanum Ukigumo??
    How yould this go in the shade?
  • Forthebees, Acers are Japanese woodland plants, they prefer shade, its an old wives tale the darker/red ones prefer more sun, my garden faces NE, but being a bungalow and unoverlooked has plenty of sun, lost a very deep red Acer this last summer.We had them in the round at our last houses which was west facing, then they reached 10 feet very quickly.6-8 foot is huge, the pot will also have to be huge, what about a Silver/white./paper Birch, pretty stem colour,catkins
    How tall and old will a tree in a 3 litre pot be when i buy it?