Wasps!

Apologies if this isn’t the right place for this 😄 we have built the frame for decking coming off the kitchen patio doors. Due to work commitments the decking hasn’t been put on top yet so it’s been frame only for a few weeks. Is this enough time for wasps to build a nest? We seem to have a lot of wasps coming in to the house and dying. 8 yesterday! And I’ve noticed 3 or 4 hovering round the frame. Don’t want to keep the doors closed as it’s still pretty clammy. And ideas how to locate a nest without getting on my hands and knees and coming face to face with it? 🙈 
they haven’t stung or anything but woke up this morning to another 4 dead ones on the kitchen floor. Help! 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,852
    edited August 2018
    It’s the end of summer and the wasps will be beginning to die.

Only the queen wasp lives through the winter. She finds a place to go to sleep and doesn't wake up again until the spring.

Each spring a new nest is built and new wasps are born to live in it.

This is not the time of year for new wasps to be born or make homes.

By the end of autumn you will be wasp free.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyface said:
    It’s the end of summer and the wasps will be beginning to die.

Only the queen wasp lives through the winter. She finds a place to go to sleep and doesn't wake up again until the spring.

Each spring a new nest is built and new wasps are born to live in it.

This is not the time of year for new wasps to be born or make homes.

By the end of autumn you will be wasp free.
    They’re maybe looking for a nice warm house to die in 😄 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,852
    They die where they die. They don’t mean any harm.🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,238
    We had  quite a few in the house 'dying off' a few weeks ago  Shelley. Just the way it is.
    It's a wee bit sad I always think.
    Perhaps they liked your decor  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for the replies. I can live with it if it’s just them dying off. First time I’ve ever had so many in the house. We have just decorated so maybe they are just impressed haha 😄
  • I have them outside my back door, they have a nest in the roof of my bungalow. They really didn't like the hail yesterday it drove them a bit crackers. Anyway, they don't mind me, one sat on my toe the other day eeek before I carefully removed it. I am waiting till they die, then removing the nest or whatever is up there and sealing up the hole with hubbabubba which I filled my shed hole with 30 years ago and is still there. I love seeing them but don't particularly want them in my roof again. I shall make provisions down the bottom of the garden for next year.