Forum home The potting shed

Wyevale bargains?

Are any of these actually bargains?  

20% off planters and pots sounds good but are they cheaper elsewhere anyway?

A water feature sounds like like a good idea but I’m not sure where to put it that the kids wouldn’t knock it over.  £99 down to £79 I think:

• Tin potTin pot Posts: 1,082
    Laslty this is 70% off only £9 per meter of fence...I’m thinking I could swap all the uprights on to my fence and paint them white.  But why are they so heavily discounted...are they rubbish?

• B3B3 Posts: 11,533
    Wyevale bargains is usually an oxymoron, but if they're bailing out, there's bound to be some bargains or at least they'll be selling stuff at normal prices.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,873
    The picket fencing doesn't look as if it was worth £30 per section in the first place.  £9 may be good value but that's difficult to judge from a photo.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,280
    They’ve sold out haven’t they? They will discount everything in the hopes of making a killing before they’d go.  If it’s what you want and you’re happy to pay what they ask, then buy them. 
    The pots are good, they don’t crack in the frost, I’ve got a few that I’ve had for about 6 years, none have cracked and we get a lot of frosts and last winter particularly cold with ice on the pond 4” Deep.  I have never taken them in or wrapped them.   
    If you have a loyalty card I suppose you should use it as they are closing down soon and you’ll lose your points. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Tin potTin pot Posts: 1,082
    Lyn said:
    They’ve sold out haven’t they? They will discount everything in the hopes of making a killing before they’d go.  If it’s what you want and you’re happy to pay what they ask, then buy them. 
    The pots are good, they don’t crack in the frost, I’ve got a few that I’ve had for about 6 years, none have cracked and we get a lot of frosts and last winter particularly cold with ice on the pond 4” Deep.  I have never taken them in or wrapped them.   
    If you have a loyalty card I suppose you should use it as they are closing down soon and you’ll lose your points. 
    These aren’t “closing down sales”, as I understand it they do 20% off seasonally.  

But the key thing here is that I’ve never bought planters, large pots, fencing and certainly not water features...so I don’t know their value. :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,825
    A bargain is only a bargain if you would’ve bought it anyway. 

I’m sorry but I think that water feature is hideous ... you can make something much nicer and infinitely more useful to wildlife for that money. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,777

I’m sorry but I think that water feature is hideous

Ditto.
    Devon.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 979
    Hideous is being generous to it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,825
    I discarded several descriptions that sprang to mind initially as I didn’t want to appear rude or upset the easily shocked on a Sunday morning😱

i would happily travel several miles with a sledgehammer if I was promised the opportunity to reduce it to rubble and use it as hardcore somewhere 💪🏻👷🏻‍♀️💅🏻
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,873
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.  A bit like Monty on Friday's GW, singing the praises of Kniphofia which is one of the few plants I genuinely loathe.  I just think they are hideous.