Forum home Problem solving

Blister mite?

linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 197
Hi.  I bought these Geum from someone who grows their own plants from home a few streets away from where I live a handful of weeks ago.  It hasn't flowered yet and has these pustules on the leaves.  After a little research it looks like blister mite but I'd be very grateful for any information on how to get rid of it, whatever it is (that's if it really does need to be removed and if so, organically) and if it will affect the plant's growth.  Many thanks in advance.  :) 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,232
    I think this sums up your problem and what you should do about it...

Control of Eriophyid Mites Eriophyid mite control involves keen observation. If you suspect mites, check leaves for blisters, bronzing or galls. Although the aesthetic damage from mites causes plant owners to grieve, most plants have no problem tolerating a large number of mites. Rarely and only under very serious infestations is it suggested that pesticides be used to control the mites. In fact, eriophydid mites are a perfect meal of predatory mites, which help control outbreaks of damaging spider mites. Spraying broad-spectrum insecticides only kills these necessary predatory mites. Therefore, tolerating some disfiguration and pimples on plant leaves is, in fact, an excellent pest management practice.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    edited August 2018
    Our grape vine has many of these every summer ... i do nothing about it ...it remains healthy and crops exceptionally well 😎
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 197
    Many thanks to you, Pansyface and Dovefromabove.  I was just concerned as I'm fairly new to gardening and have never seen these blemishes on any of my leaves on any of my plants before.  I don't use sprays of any kind in my garden, I tend to 'live and let live', so you have both reassured me that currently, these 'pustules' are nothing to worry about.  Many thanks again.  :)