Forum home Problem solving

Free Compost bin

Hi, I really not understand why our Birmingham council doesn't give free compost bin or cut the price, some council give them free of charges or give pension bins free. By making compost at home we people save the council lots of funds we are doing them a favour by making compost at home. Why are is Warwickshire residents can buy just £10. for bin.i am willing to buy from Warwickshire council but you probably had been residents. I have been looking for a cheap way to make compost I don't believe spending more money trying to save money it doesn't make sense. I have been looking for everywhere eg preloved, Gumtree, eBay nearly allover.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Our council gave out free compost bins some years ago when they started different bins for recycling etc.
    SW Scotland
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I imagine they used to give free bins and with all the cuts they are not really coping.
  • Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    Use to be free here but now £60 a year you can have a bin or biodegradable sacks, and they collect every two weeks or the county scheme you can buy various compost bins to use at home they also now do water butts all at a reasonable price. 
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,313
    Maybe get some old wooden pallets and make your own?
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    Our Belgian local council offered composting lessons but not bins and would only collect garden waste from people who had no transport.   We made a row of 3 bins using wooden pallets for the walls and corrugated plastic roofing sheets form an ex cowshed for the outsides.   Fencing slats for the fronts for easy access.  They worked very well.

The local council here sells 1m cube wooden bins for about 35€ each and no limits on numbers.  We have 3 so far and I have plans to get at least 3 more.   I have no idea if they collect green waste as it's not an issue for us.    We have inherited a long concrete bin that holds huge amounts but not easy to access and turn.   It will do for now tho.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    Metre cube size wooden boxes are the perfect size, anything smaller and it doesn’t heat up enough in the middle. I think that’s far better idea that’s more plastic around. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,227
    Those enormous plastic bags that builders deliver sand in are excellent for leaves.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    We use those for the last stage of compost,   I don’t like the look of them but at least they’re not in the landfill. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.