Ladybirds in the winter

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,857
Hi all, had lots of ladybirds doing good work at the allotment all summer so want to help them out over the winter. Looking at "ladybirds hotels" anyone have any success with these? Any recommendations as to position? In the poly tunnel maybe? Want to provide a safe place and don't mind buying something ready made as long as it works. Any advice gratefully received. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,022
    Where Ladybirds go in winter. New Year's Day
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
    debs64 said:
    Hi all, had lots of ladybirds doing good work at the allotment all summer so want to help them out over the winter. Looking at "ladybirds hotels" anyone have any success with these? Any recommendations as to position? In the poly tunnel maybe? Want to provide a safe place and don't mind buying something ready made as long as it works. Any advice gratefully received. 
    Ladybirds like a sheltered position especially near long grasses where often they'll hibernate. I have a ladybird house and think they must be using it as there were more ladybirds this year. At my workplace in the garden there is no ladybird house but lots of logs and long lawn grass at times and this year the children were fascinated by all the ladybird eggs then larvae just stuck to the warm brick wall in the warmest part of the garden. It was amazing watching the whole lifecycle! They were near plants and a tree that often gets green fly so I guess that's why they set up home there. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    On warm days in late winter/early spring ladybirds appear 'sunbathing' on our grapevine and the trellis which supports it.  I've a feeling the ladybirds spend the winter hiding under the flaky bark of the grapevine  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,370
    I think they are fine it wonky sheds etc too, in the UK. Staying in a chalet in Switzerland last autumn, my room began to fill with ladybirds - all over the curtains, the window frames and the furniture. I carefully put them outside, but no, they wanted in for the winter. I guess the deep freeze drives them into truly warmer places. It was odd as it was 25oC outside at the time, but they knew the 'winter was coming;'. Wise bods.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,863
    They creep into the casement windows here and make it impossible to open or close them from October to May.

Anyone who forgets is showered with hundreds of them and the crackling sound of those that get crushed when the window is shut again is ‘orrible.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,123
    They hide in our window frames and shutters too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,352
    Here too 😳. Pansy’s crunchy description is all too familiar 😥
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.