Composter location

Looking at getting one but I don't really have anywhere that's on soil or grass that it can be situated.

Would having it on paving be acceptable or is there anything else to consider?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,365
    Nothing to stop it being on paving, but you'll find it "leaches" liquid which might well stain the paving.
    Devon.
  • Nothing a pressure washer couldn't sort I'm sure.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,365
    Nothing a pressure washer couldn't sort I'm sure.

Indeed so. If it's the only option, it's better than no compost bins at all.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,745
    edited August 2018
    You can always dig up worms from elsewhere and add to the bin along with a couple of shovels of soil. Depends how long you want to wait for compost. What leeks out could be quite smelly. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 846
    My compost bins are on paving and there are plenty of worms. The paving does get a bit stained but only really close to the bins.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,748
    That's really odd, because I had to put several layers of black plastic under our 3 bins in an effort to stop the nearby hedge roots coming up inside. I have plenty of other insects inside but no red worms as far as I can see for the last couple of months. I was thinking of buying some online, has anybody else done this?  Also my bins don't leak and I do get some good compost eventually.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,481
    Sealed bins are just fine too. I have one Hot Bin (all sealed, the bottom too) and two regular small black rubbish bins with clip lids and holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. The cycle time is much faster, because the heat is held in. All have about a three month summer cycle from kitchen waste to soil. The rubbish bins are easier to turn because they are shorter, and they are easy to tip from one to the other, and so aerate. They are also  cheap. I do gather up garden worms and put them in, but the bins do get hot, and worms don't like heat. I like the clip lids as there is no prospect of rats. I regularly add shovels of garden soil and garden waste, so the bins are teaming with life, bacteria, fungi and microbial partying. If clever you could find a way to put something under the bins to collect up the drips / tap - for the wonderful plant tea. I haven't got that sorted yet.

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,653
    I think it's always a good idea to start a bin with a layer of mature compost, manure or even soil, wherever it's placed.