Forum home Plants

Where to buy amelanchier?

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256
I went to three garden centres today and found only one amelanchier which i didn't get as it looked a bit sad and ill. I have decided to get one but can't find one or one that looks healthy anyway? I am near Bath so does anyone know a good place to get one or is it mostly online? I've had bad experience of trees online!! 
My other option was a Paul's Scarlett hawthorn but they seem more expensive? I like both but can't afford two trees at the mo. Any advice on the best places to go to get trees locally that won't cost the earth? 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,947
    edited August 2018
    I'm looking too. For an amel.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347
    I bought my amelanchier in the spring when it was covered with blossom. That’s when the garden centres seem to have them in stock. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347
    I bought my amelanchier in the spring when it was covered with blossom. That’s when the garden centres seem to have them in stock. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256
    Ok thanks Dove. Maybe I'll have to wait till spring then??
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 576
    edited August 2018
    Mail Order trees. I bought a Paul's Scarlet this year, also a Prunus (Kanzan) both were very good trees, well packaged large and healthy. The packaging was about 12ft tall!

mailordertrees.co.uk

• ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 168
    Check the RHS plant finder suppliers list.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Search-Results?query=Amelanchier
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,878
    I bought 3, all from J. Parker’s sale, 1.99 each, I think they charge 2.49 now.
    all three are about 8’ tall and 6’wide. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

You must have been lucky with jparkers I bought  two trees that had to get refunded as one turned up and was just a stick not even a metre high the other died in less than 6months!! I'm now wary of buying trees from them and would rather see it in person before buying! 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,571
    edited August 2018
    @Bagpuss57 If my geography is right, this isn't too far from you ? Sorry if I'm wrong !
    http://www.landcaretrees.co.uk/containertrees.html
    AnniD said:
    @Bagpuss57 If my geography is right, this isn't too far from you ? Sorry if I'm wrong !
    http://www.landcaretrees.co.uk/containertrees.html
    Thanks AnniD I've just been on their website. They look reasonable and lots to choose from so will definitely make a trip to see them soon. Thanks Zero zero I've also looked at mail-order trees and they look good too so I now have a few avenues to try. 
    I'm wondering if the trees will be cheaper if I wait for bare rooted trees?