Advice on creating a woodland garden

2»

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,623
    Wood anemones, some ferns can cope with dry shade, things like Gillenia and Epimediums, Tiarellas and Heucheras. Some grasses too, Snowy Woodrush, (Luzula nivea) and Deschampsia caespitosa will grow happily.  It depends how much you want wild versus garden plants, you might want to gradually blend it in to the rest of the garden.
    As for the roses,  any one of Rosa filipes 'Kiftsgate' , or 'Rambling  Rector' or 'Wedding Day' would climb your trees, providing you planted them in some enriched soil a little way away and  guided them towards the tree somehow. Pruning is not really something you would be able to do though, so read up on them first before making your decision!

• RobmarstonRobmarston Posts: 209
    Some amazing ideas and info here. Thanks. I like the idea of foxgloves, Gilenia and cyclamen. I think it’s going to be trial and error but I really hope my lily of the valley take. I’ll put another pic up next week once the area has been cleared. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,305
    I love lily of the valley but I struggle to keep them happy even in a shady damp spot which meets all their requirements... good luck with those ones ... they’re Uber-fussy ... but once they are happy you’ll not get rid of them 😀
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,914
    Brilliant ideas on here, nothing to add but the fact that I am soooh jealous!!