Forum home Plants

ID please

Hi all, this plant with a pinkish red flower has appeared in amongst my penstemons, and for the life of me don’t remember planting it. I’m hoping it’s an easy Id as it’s quite striking.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,410
    Gorgeous isn't it  :)

It looks very like Gladiolus communis subspecies byzantinus

https://www.sarahraven.com/flowers/bulbs/bulbs_for_naturalising/gladiolus_communis_subsp_byzantinus.htm
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you Dovefromabove, yes it is a beauty, I vaguely remember planting some gladdi bulbs around there, but had given up on them. I must get more of these for next year, thanks again,
    Pat. 
    I love them ... they seem to have escaped into the wild in some parts of coastal Cornwall ... they look wonderful there.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ironically, I had made a mental note to give up on gladioli next year, all the “regular “ ones I had planted were very disappointing, but these have gone to the top of my wishlist 🙂
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,606
    I love them ... they seem to have escaped into the wild in some parts of coastal Cornwall ... they look wonderful there.  
    and Devon.
    Devon.
     :D