Runner beans ugh!!!

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,183
Hi all anyone else spent time and effort growing something this year only to realise they hate it? Constant watering of runner beans staking and tying in yesterday harvested a huge crop. I don't like the taste! Decided to try chutney, lots of expensive ingredients an hour chopping and 2 cooking. Yuk!!! Like a jar of sweet green string! We live and learn! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,715
    They shouldn't be stringy :/ ... are you leaving them too late to pick (little and often is the way) or did you not grow up learning how to 'de-string' runner beans while sitting on the back step with Ma's old colander  ;) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218
    edited August 2018
    Don’t pick them if you can see the beans growing inside them. By that time it is too late.

Try this recipe and see if they are better. James Beard’s recipe for runner beans:

1 kilo runner beans, trimmed and sliced into 1”lengths, boiled until tender but still a tiny bit crisp.
    2-3 tablespoons good quality olive oil.
    3 finely chopped cloves of garlic.
    3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice.
    The zest of one lemon, in tiny shreds, not dust.
    A generous amount of ground black pepper.
    A generous sprinkling of Parmesan, if wanted.

Drain the beans and put back in the saucepan with the olive oil. Add the garlic and fry for one minute. Add the lemon juice, zest and pepper. Shake the pan well to coat everything. Put into a heated serving dish and sprinkle on the Parmesan if you like it.

Serves quite a few people.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269
    They shouldn't be stringy :/ ... are you leaving them too late to pick (little and often is the way) or did you not grow up learning how to 'de-string' runner beans while sitting on the back step with Ma's old colander  ;) 
    Oh yes! I still sit down to do them, very sharp knife down the sides then very thinly sliced. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,715
    That's it @Lyn  :)  although this back doorstep is a little too low so I use the sofa ... a colander, a tea towel on my lap and a bowl for the bits and something good on the radio and that's a quiet few minutes spent before cooking supper  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Or hours if your freezing them. dove. 😀. I don’t why I freeze them, I really don’t like them once frozen, it’s just a thing you have to do with the glut. 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,864
    We've reduced the number of plants this year so hopefully won't have a huge glut.  We absolutely love them and would happily just eat a plateful with loads of butter.  Heaven! :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,233
    I loathe beans - runner types and actual beans too [sorry!] but I love mange tout. Considering growing them next year again for stir fries etc. 
    Perhaps they might suit you better Debs. I used to have them in among flowering plants in a previous garden. They were pretty straighforward from what I remember :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I did reduce the amount of plants I grew this year, it’s just been an exceptionally good year for them with the hot sun. I buy the drought resistant ones so only watered twice, they are just going on an on.
    Its certainly proof that there’s no need to dig a trench and fill with compost, I’ve not done that for 2 years since reading it in the Gardening Myths Book. 

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 667
    Suggestion if you don't like your runners! Leave them let them go to full size and leathery then pick and use the beans inside as dried beans, they are really good that way and do not taste at all like runner beans.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,356
    I love runner beans. It's beans with every meal until they run dry on us. Next year I want to grow varieties to harvest the actual bean to use in soups and stews as well though. Any recommendations for that?