Forum home Plants

Hydrangea Leaves Wilting

keith.w.burgesskeith.w.burgess North WestPosts: 19
Hi Guys,
I have just noticed that the leaves on one of my Hydrangeas are wilting. The blooms are more or less finished and the leaves are looking a bit sad. The compost is wet so I am looking for some other problem, any ideas and comments are welcomed.
Regards
Keith

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,303
    It could be that the pot is so full of roots that the compost can’t absorb enough water for your plant. Can you take the plant out of the pot to check what’s going on down there?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• keith.w.burgesskeith.w.burgess North WestPosts: 19
    Hi Dovefromabove, Thank you for your response, I have taken the plant out of the pot as you suggested and attached a couple of photos of what I found. I also noticed a couple of woodlice running around the bottom of the pot, could they be causing the problem. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards
    Keith

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,862
    Nothing to do with woodlice, there is no compost in that pot, it’s all roots, they are far better planted out in the ground where they can spread their roots out. Plant out and it will pick up. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,047
    I'd agree with Lyn. It needs a lot more room. It looked that way even in the first pic.
    There's a lot of top growth for the root system to support, and hydrangeas get pretty large, so the bigger the pot the better, if you can't get it in the ground.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thank you all for your advice, I think I'll have to get a bigger pot as I don't have anywhere to plant it out.
    Many Thanks
    Keith
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,303
    Hi @keith.w.burgess  Sorry, I've been at the dentist's ... but @Lyn and @Fairygirl have echoed my thoughts.   :)

If it has to be in a container, make sure it's much larger, and use a 50/50 mix of John Innes No 3 loam based compost and some ordinary multi-purpose compost ... it'll hold the moisture much better than just the multi-purpose on its own.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks for the advice Dovefromabove .
    Regards Keith