Forum home Wildlife gardening

Insect and birds - less this year

2»

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,477
    A long, cool, wet spring meant fewer insects of all kinds and less bird activity too.  Even the migrators like swallows arrived late and bred late.  Had a quiet week or two for the moult but it's all systems go now for birds at the feeders and I've never seen so many butterflies and moths.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,447
    Obelixx said:
    .... and I've never seen so many butterflies and moths.
    We've certainly got a lot more than in recent years ... I don't think I've seen so many since I was a child in rural Suffolk.  Many more and they'll be getting stuck all over the car windscreens again ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I'm very glad to hear that Dove,I have had plenty of bees,not many assorted butterflies,Whites and Tortoishell mainly.But the birds are obviously finding lots to eat in the trees and wild bushes around here.
    I got my stock of various food in for the birds today,so I'm ready for when they reappear.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    More bees and butterflies than i’ve ever seen, no doubt the latter will struggle next year as a result of the die back this year through the heat wave. Birds have been quiet for a while, probably hiding from the mid day heat in past months. 
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 851
    Goldfinches still breeding here in South Wales had a family at the feeders yesterday one asking and getting fed.