Insect and birds - less this year

ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
edited August 2018 in Wildlife gardening
This year I have hardly seen any bird life. I live in rural St Albans. Last year I had a lot of blue tits and coal tits, occasional sparrows, wrens, thrushes and blackbirds. Magpies crows and pigeons were also visitors.
This year i have seen one magpie, a couple of pigeons, no blue tits or coal tits at all, one robin, a blackbird and little else.
I put out some food, nuts, seed, fatballs and water, I have watched carefully and nothing is coming to feed. Its been a few weeks now, the seed levels are more or less the same. Just one magpie comes, but even he seems to have gone now. When I listen for the dawn or evening chorus its just not as full as it has been. It used to be a riot, no more. 
Insects are also scarce, I ended up hand pollinating my tomatoes. I did not see any bees in early summer, but there are some now, likewise wasps and flies seem less in number. 
There has been a definite collapse since my childhood in the 1950s but this year it seems more marked than ever
I am not alone in this view: 
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/where-have-all-the-birds-gone/is-the-number-of-birds-in-decline/

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/europe-bird-population-countryside-reduced-pesticides-france-wildlife-cnrs-a8267246.html

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jun/17/where-have-insects-gone-climate-change-population-decline

• Another St.Albaner :) I lived there for a while with my wife then migrated out to Dunstable :wink:

It's funny you say the decline in your area as I think it has risen in my garden this year than any other. I've seen more birds, butterflies, bees, Red kites and the likes BUT I have been planting plants that attract wildlife and growing more hedging for protection.

I'm desperate for a hedgehog but I think they are a fantasy, too many plastic gardens and fences.

I'm sure if you keep doing what you are doing, maybe adding a pond too if you can the wildlife will come back. But also maybe the heat we had had some sort of impact? The local wildlife maybe found a more suitable watering hole so to speak? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,117
    It’s quite usual to see fewer birds at this time of year ... they’re laying low keeping quiet while they moult following the strenuous breeding season. 

The dawn and evening choruses are part of the breeding season behaviour too... it’s territorial ... so there’s no need for it at this time of year and it doesn’t happen. 

My experience is that bird behaviour and numbers here on the edge of Norwich are pretty much as they have been in other years. We’re certainly not seeing many birds at the feeders and I use this time of year to take them down and give them a thorough clean and disinfection before their use picks up towards the winter. 

One of the the birds I have noticed in the garden over the last few days is a wren which seems to have adopted our clematis-covered fence as a favourite hang-out 🙂
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    Dove I hope your right. Xander - pond is on its way, bought it last week and promptly pulled a muscle in my back sweeping the yard! 
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 653
    We have had a good year in South Wales, the bird numbers are less at this time as usual still seeing goldfinches blue tits etc, the bees and butterflies are still in evidence,we mainly feed sunflower hearts in the feeders, mixed seed on the ground, fat balls only in the winter months, and a few water containers, spread round the garden, Dovefromabove is right bird numbers do drop about this time of the year.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,301
    Bird city here in the last week or so - they're catching up on their food. The feeders are going to need filling again, and I only filled them yesterday morning. All the little'uns are having a food fest  :)
    Loads of bees, wasps, hoverflies etc. Not so many butterflies, but that's only to be expected as it's been cool, wet and windy here for a while,and we tend to get most of them from mid to late August onwards anyway.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,121
    Two bird feeders that get filled every day with all the usual suspects visiting although I'm pretty sure I saw a siskin a few weeks back. Happily no parakeets since the sycamore came down yay! Loads of white butterflies of different sizes and a few brown ones, there must be a fair few insects too as the bats have started cruising at dusk. Loads of hoverflies and plenty of bees.  So it's all business as usual here.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,297
    At least as many birds as usual here in Devon and I've never noticed so many dragon'damsel flies as there have been this year.
    Devon.
  • I've just been reading about Lithium,Barium Chem trails,quite alarming.Does anyone really believe this is allowed to happen??
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,117
    I've just been reading about Lithium,Barium Chem trails,quite alarming.Does anyone really believe this is allowed to happen??
    No, it doesn't ... it's one of those myths put about by conspiracy theorists.  It's been exposed as false by the respected SNOPES website

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nasa-lithium-chemtrails-conspiracy/

:) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh