GW 17th August

I switched over from GW on Friday as soon as Monty explained that it was a 'Special' and I realised that I wouldn't be interested in large parts of the programme.  I enjoy the practical side of gardening far more than the history of it.  I certainly wouldn't want to sit through an hour of that.
I'll probably watch on Iplayer so that I can skip the parts which don't interest me.
I'd be interested though to know the thoughts of those who have watched it.  GW has received a lot of criticism in this forum since the change to hour long programmes (I prefer the hourly form despite some of the padding), and Fridays programme was another variant so probably worth trying.
Personal thoughts are that it would probably have been better as a separate 'one off' rather than replacing the usual GW.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,624
    Comments on Forkers thread seem to suggest that lots of folk enjoyed it. I'd have to admit FF the allotment bits but I enjoyed it more than many other weeks .
    As @Dovefromabove noted " not a dog in sight"
    Devon.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Enjoyed all of it including the allotments although my veg growing is restricted to courgettes.
    SW Scotland
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,446
    Enjoyed every single minute of it ... OH was transfixed by  it and he hardly ever sits still long enough to watch an hour of tv ... definitely very worthwhile watching  again   :smiley:

It's not what I'd want to watch every week, but it was marvellous as a special  :D

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,443
    I too thoroughly enjoyed it
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I watched a programme about the temple at Neasden. As Monty said, it was carved in India and shipped over for construction.  I think it's worth noting, as I don't think it was mentioned last night, every penny to build it was given as donations.
    Devon.
    The guy who runs the nursery in Devon sold some FAB stuff. I didn't know one single plant they featured, but some of them were lovely. 
    It was in Umberleigh in Devon, which is where Carol Klein used to have hers . I wonder if it's the same site.
    Devon.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    @Hostafan1, I would love to get some of those plants for a shady area but wondered how the climate in his area of Devon compared to mine. What do you think?
    SW Scotland
    edited August 2018
    Joyce21 said:
    @Hostafan1, I would love to get some of those plants for a shady area but wondered how the climate in his area of Devon compared to mine. What do you think?
    I'd say very similar Joyce, from what I remember of living in Greenock.

http://www.rareplantfair.co.uk/our-nurseries/millwood-plants/ 

I'm sure they'd love to chat to you on the phone.
    Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,844
    I have now watched the programme and stick with my original thoughts that it should have been shown as a one off 'special', and not in a GW slot.  I object to having religious mumbo-jumbo being stuffed down my throat, whatever the religion.