Wild flowers

We have a large pond (19ft x 12ft) running into this is we have several smaller ponds and a little stream, it is now in full sun and I struggle to find planting for the borders around it, they are narrow as there is a path either side which makes it more difficult. I was thinking of sowing wild flowers along it. At the moment I have mainly geraniums but its a bit boring. Any ideas gratefully received

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,883
    Can we have some pictures
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,396
    edited August 2018
    Plants that grow from bulbs or corms might work?
    I would NOT recommend the species form of crocosmia - it'll be over your fence and all over the countryside in moments. But the 'garden forms' - like 'Emily Mckenzie' for example, are clumpers and grow quite upright, so would be OK in a narrow border. They like damp. They don't shed a lot of leaf in Winter.
    Hemerocallis grow by my pond, rubbing shoulders with nettles, docks and all sorts of thuggish weeds down there.
    All the narcissi would be happy, including the Tenby daffodil and Pheasant Eye, both of which will self seed and spread. Mixed with a few primroses for ground cover, they'll take you right through spring.
    Siberian irises. Native ferns. Hostas will grow well in sun if their feet stay damp, especially the variegated ones.

I'd leave your geraniums to give you ground cover, but mix in some more upright plant forms to give form and variation of colour. If there are any wider points, add a small shrub perhaps, or a bigger herbaceous plant - angelica, maybe. A wildflower 'meadow' is not an easy thing to grow well - especially in a narrow strip. You really need to be able to mow it. But a mix of native perennials that like your conditions could be lovely. 
    What really makes the difference
    between all dead and living things; 
    the will to stay alive
  • I find crocosmia quite invasive - I am currently trying to get rid of a large number of these plants (inherited when bought the house). I pulled out a few very large long clumps, and there are still more there. They all seem to be connected by long roots, which is probably how they spread quite invasively. It probably will take me more than one season to get every single one of them out, but hopefully I will get rid of them eventually. Thank you for the tip about Emily McKenzie - it might be a good replacement (and I saw one yesterday in the local garden centre).

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,881
    Big Blue Sky - I have been trying for 30 years to get rid of Crocosmia from my garden. I haven't given up yet! Cornishpixi, you could also try Dierama which like dampish ground and give an elegant height next to waterways. The dwarf Astilbes such as pumila could work too.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 129
    Are we talking boggy or dry edges? 

Perhaps some cuckoo flower, cardamine pratensis. Native and good for pollinators.
  • Its quite dry I will try and post some pictures thanks for the replies 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,906
    edited August 2018
    Cornflowers and Scabious will look good if your soils are free draining and in sun. If you have some light shade, Filipendulas, Thalictrums and Lythrums are great plants to add a bit of height. Think about leaf shape too. Bergenias are ideal ground cover plants and will look quite natural near the edge of ponds.