Another 1000L water butt?

I've been offered a black 1000l IBC for a decent price. Apart from the current problem of transporting it a mile, do I really need 2? My current one that's been in for a month is 3/4 full already and will save me rest of year of not using mains. I've just seen the water bill its £60 more than the previous three months.i can only blame a few extra showers so most is garden use.  If we were planning in staying in this place long term I'd think I'd be jumping at it. But our plan is do it up and sell to a bigger place within 5 years. What would you guys do? 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238
    Buy it. Better looking at it than looking for it. 
  • marbrenduffinmarbrenduffin Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    of course get the water butt, we have 8 and they depleted so quickly this year.Our water bill was actually less this last time even though we did resort to using the tap a few times. We have them filling off the house,[2 at each location] garage ,summerhouse, and shed. this way we have water in different locations so it lessens the carryng of the cans.Get them whilst on offer and you'll never regret it!
  • Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    As above go for it you can never have too much water storage in my view.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,424
    edited 13 August
    My motto is 
    " It's better to have it, and not need it: than to need it and not have it"
    Variation on the same theme as @plant pauper
    Devon.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238
    Yours is much more tuneful though @Hostafan1 ; ;)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,424
    Yours is much more tuneful though @Hostafan1 ; ;)
    Why thank you. I use it often. ( especially when I see a Hosta I fancy. sshh, don't tell Hubby  ;) )
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,614
    Depends how decent the price is I suppose. I paid £20 for mine and it's been worth every penny. I certainly wish I'd got 2 when they were available.
  • kev vankev van Posts: 87
    Depends how decent the price is I suppose. I paid £20 for mine and it's been worth every penny. I certainly wish I'd got 2 when they were available.
    I'd have got more than a couple at that price. I thought £50 was cheap which is why I'm considering it. My one I have at mo mo cost £100 Inc delivery
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,614
    That was a credit crunch price so £50 now is still reasonable. In plain money terms Welsh Water charge £1.30/m3 of fresh water plus £1.34 for every m3 that goes back into the sewers. If you only use and refill a couple of times a year it could take 10 years to pay for itself (assuming you don't need to use electricity to pump water about). I always think it's better to have as much rainwater holding capacity as possible though and rainwater is always better for plants and your soil health.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,616
    Well, I have 4, 1 off each shed, and 2 off one greenhouse, from May, till one day a couple of weeks ago, and this last week, they have been empty, we have a water meter, and the bill is going to be high this September, and answer to question yes, I would get the water butt.  incidentally, on moving here and having a water meter for the first time, our water bill per month, was HALF what we paid before unmetered, I was so shocked, had always been told DONT get a water meter!