Good secateurs and sharpening tools

TallyVTallyV OxfordshirePosts: 5
I need some new (bypass) secateurs and was considering a pair of Felcos. Are they worth it? Any other recommendations? 
Our shears also need a sharpen. Is a sharpening stone best way to do it? Thanks in advance 

• Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,722
    I have Felco no.2 - they're excellent
    I use a stone for sharpening that my dad gave me
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,355
    I've got Felcos as well but to be quite honest I'm not convinced they are worth the money. Up till now I have always just bought cheap ones every 3-4 years. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 13,212
    Love my Felcos and sharpen them with a baby knife steel, just like the ones for kitchen knives but teeny.   I also have a pair of Wolf secateurs hanging in the PT.  Fine for removing soft growth but when I want good, clean cuts on ripe or semi-ripe stems I get out the Felcos.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 563
    Just my opinion but after owning dozens of secateurs, I would never buy expensive ones any more - they are not much better.
     Most have the annoying habit of a spring that pings out, which can be very annoying when deep in the jungle. If you buy cheap you can buy a couple which means if you misplace one the other is available - useful for older minds ;) 
    I have just spotted this one, with different springs, can't  vouch for it but it's cheap and I think I shall try a pair

it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Strong-Carbon-Steel-Garden-Shears-Cutters-Secateurs-Plant-Pruning-Trim/351629631753?epid=1388140848&hash=item51dec26109:g:szUAAMXQeW5Tb9vY&_sop=15&_sadis=15&_nkw=secateurs&_sacat=0&_from=R40&rt=nc
  • TallyVTallyV OxfordshirePosts: 5
    Thanks for all the responses, nice to get varying views. For our kitchen knives we have a good robert welch wheel to drag them through which sharpens nicely, never had much joy with steeles. So now to figure out the knack for using a stone to sharpen garden tools! 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,019
    If you know what you're looking at, and can spot a fake, you can buy second hand Felco on ebay for about £20. I've bought 2 pairs 
    Devon.
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 236
    Spotted in the Lidl leaflet that they have diamond blade tools for sharpening flat or rounded edge blades. They should be in next week. My uncle uses them and says they're great and last for a few years or more, for £1.99 can't be bad. 
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,684
    Yes, I've got one of those (from Bunnings rather than Lidl, but the price was still pretty good). They're good. The only problem is that they're quite easy to lose, so I'll probably get a couple more from Lidl - one for each shed and one for the house ;)
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • TallyVTallyV OxfordshirePosts: 5
    Thank you, I spotted the diamond tools and noticed some that come with oil in the other end too! Think i'll go for one of those type of tools (and useful to know about Lidl)