Tomato food in border?

linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 108
Hi there.  Would tomato food be ok to use on the perennials in my border, or is it better practice to sprinkle fish, blood and bone accordingly instead, please?  Many thanks.  :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,248
    Hi @linzijayne74

I use tomato feed on flowering plants at this time of year to give them a boost of potash to encourage flower formation.

I use Fish, blood & bone in the spring as it's a slow-acting general fertiliser that'll encourage the whole plant to grow. 

:) 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,746
    I also use tomato feed to boost roses, crocosmia and my single dahlia, but haven’t on the salvias, agastaches, echinaceas and achilleas because I thought the wouldn’t like/need it. Would that be right, Dove, that some perennials wouldn’t appreciate it or could we merrily be feeding all flowering plants?
  • linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 108
    Many thanks, Dove from Above.  I think I will get some F/B/B for Spring though, give them a boost as they're coming into growth.  Nollie; I would gently venture that anything flowering will welcome a little boost at this time of the year.  I'll continue feeding my annuals in pots for some weeks to come but I shan't add very much tomato food to my border plants though, as I'm wary of encouraging too much growth that may well perish in the oncoming Winter.  I'm happy to be corrected on that matter though.  :)
    Tomato food shouldn't encourage fresh green growth ... it's high in potash and it's nitrogen that encourages green growth.

I don't intentionally give my perennials Tomato Food at this time of year, but I give it to the roses, clematis and other flowering shrubs in the borders, so the perennials get the benefit too. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Ah, I see.  I shall remember that fact about the nitrogen encouraging green growth!  (I started gardening a couple of years ago and still have much to learn).  Many thanks, Dovefromabove.  :)

We're all still learning  :)

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,746
    Perhaps a weak tom feed for the perennials then, thanks!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,880
    yes, same as Dove and the tomato feed is cheap as chips.
    Thanks Nanny Beach (and apologies for the delay in replying!).  :)