Forum home Garden design

underplanting acers

RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 311
Hi all, I've got an acer growing in our new garden and I'm going to add 2 or 3 more to make a nice little maple area.  What I'd like is some ideas for what to plant under and around them?  Any suggestions for year round interest and plants that would look well there?  The soil is acid, free draining, medium fertility.  Thanks.  

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,889
    If they are the small Japanese maples that grow in a lovely hummocky shape I would stick to small bulbs that flower early in spring before the new acer foliage starts.   Something like the small, multi-headed daffs such as Tête-à-Tête would be good - https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/89723/Narcissus-T-234;te-224;-t-234;te-(12)/Details 

Not Minnow as it prefers alkaline or neutral soils.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 311
    That’s a good idea. The maples are about 9ft high and green and yellow. I have some weeping ones but I’m going to leave them in pots. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,889
    As the soil is well drained you could also think about some of these - https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/17789/Sternbergia-lutea/Details  Look like crocuses but are actually autumn flowering daffs.  We found them here in this new (to us) garden and love them.   Maybe some cyclamen coum too?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 4,643
    ..do you like spending money on plants?  if so, you should consider dwarf rhododendrons and azaleas, as your soil is acid...  the yellow one here is 'Princess Anne', it has a nice dwarf spreading habit and looks good all year, as they all do..

Other plants nearby that do well in these conditions are Lithodora 'Grace Ward', a quite beautiful plant, nearly always in bloom... Epimediums, primulas... Pulmonarias, dwarf narcissi like 'Hawera' which prefers acid soils...  surprisingly perhaps, I also have some Cowslips and Oxslips…  The small Acer is of the dissectum group..  do enjoy your gardening...

Thanks for those suggestions. I’ve got an azalea in a pot but hadn’t thought of that. Love the idea of lithodora and sternbergiA. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,360
    You can also try Anemonopsis Macrophylla for late summer into autumn interest. Needs a bit of wind protection but worth trying if you have shelter. Tricyrtis Formosana 'Autumn Glow' can add interest right into autumn against variegated foliage. This plant will be of interest even when not in flower. 
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    I have a juniperus squamata blue carpet - ground cover blue/grey conifer which looks great sweeping away from my weeping acer (not directly under it though). I'm trying black grass growing throught he blue carpet this year which so far is doing well. More under the acer I have bulbs as others have suggested. 
    Just googled and took a look at Anemonopsis Macrophylla.  Wow, what a beauty, definitely gonna go for one of those. 
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    If you like a green and lush feel try ferns, (harts tongue is my favourite), I've just got a Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty, also hosta's and some of the bright red heucheras (think mines called sweet tea.