How to kill Cotoneaster

lankylanky GermanyPosts: 3
Dear All,

I have recently move to Germany, and my garden is smothered with Cotoneatser, i have tried to use a standard weed killer which kills the leaves and not the plant, I have bought a product called Garlon Super which is meant to be stronger but i cant see it working. Any advise on how to kill/clear this plant will be much appreciated as at the moment I am removing this by hand and the roots seem to be well established,

Thanks in advance
Find Pictures of my garden on Facebook: Guysters Garden

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 19,606
    Hello Lanky and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid that getting rid of the cotoneaster is probably going to mean a lot of digging and tugging out of the plants. I would not waste your money on weed killer.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,210
    Yes, cut away the top growth and dig out the roots. however, properly grown, this can be a valuable and attractive shrub all year round and wildlife friendly, too. Why not prune radically and allow new, controlled growth as a backdrop to your other planting?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,469
    Even if you spray it you’ll still have to dig it out so you might as well save yourself the money and dig it out straight away. 
    "...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • lankylanky GermanyPosts: 3
    edited 11 August
    Thanks Posy but it is taking up my whole garden and its choking up the land and nothing else is growing,
    ladybird4 and Dovefromabove; i think your suggestions are the best, im trying to dig it out an hour an day, if i ever find the old house owner who planted the cotoneaster....*"*%ç%&, if you are interested on the progress i will be taking photos search Guyster`s Garden on facebook 
    Find Pictures of my garden on Facebook: Guysters Garden
    edited 11 August
     OMG lanky - I've just been and had a look and I appreciate what a hard job you have in front of you. Did you have any luck with growing the pineapple too!
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,243
    After digging out three mature cotoneasters my ex referred to them ever after as cotoneb***ards!
  • 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 272
    Just planted some Cotoneaster Dammeri.  I'm hoping in the right place it will be a good garden plant!
    Racine - in the right place it is a good plant. The bees love its tiny white flowers and the blackbirds and thrushes love the berries that follow. If you are lucky enough to have waxwings visit - they love the berries too.
  • debs64debs64 Posts: 875
    I am planning to plant some at the back of my allotment to deter intruders. It's fairly shady there but I hear they cope well in most conditions. 
  • ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 43
    I'm facing a cotoneaster dilemma myself. I like that it's good for the birds and the bees, I dislike how it looks and that it cuts my not particularly large garden in two. I'm leaning towards cutting it in half.