How to kill Cotoneaster

lankylanky GermanyPosts: 3
Dear All,

I have recently move to Germany, and my garden is smothered with Cotoneatser, i have tried to use a standard weed killer which kills the leaves and not the plant, I have bought a product called Garlon Super which is meant to be stronger but i cant see it working. Any advise on how to kill/clear this plant will be much appreciated as at the moment I am removing this by hand and the roots seem to be well established,

Thanks in advance
Find Pictures of my garden on Facebook: Guysters Garden

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 22,010
    Hello Lanky and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid that getting rid of the cotoneaster is probably going to mean a lot of digging and tugging out of the plants. I would not waste your money on weed killer.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,368
    Yes, cut away the top growth and dig out the roots. however, properly grown, this can be a valuable and attractive shrub all year round and wildlife friendly, too. Why not prune radically and allow new, controlled growth as a backdrop to your other planting?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 50,689
    Even if you spray it you’ll still have to dig it out so you might as well save yourself the money and dig it out straight away. 
    'There's a flower that shall be mine, 'tis the little celandine.' W Wordsworth

• lankylanky GermanyPosts: 3
    edited August 2018
    Thanks Posy but it is taking up my whole garden and its choking up the land and nothing else is growing,
    ladybird4 and Dovefromabove; i think your suggestions are the best, im trying to dig it out an hour an day, if i ever find the old house owner who planted the cotoneaster....*"*%ç%&, if you are interested on the progress i will be taking photos search Guyster`s Garden on facebook 
    Find Pictures of my garden on Facebook: Guysters Garden
    edited August 2018
     OMG lanky - I've just been and had a look and I appreciate what a hard job you have in front of you. Did you have any luck with growing the pineapple too!
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238
    After digging out three mature cotoneasters my ex referred to them ever after as cotoneb***ards!
  • 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 288
    Just planted some Cotoneaster Dammeri.  I'm hoping in the right place it will be a good garden plant!
    Racine - in the right place it is a good plant. The bees love its tiny white flowers and the blackbirds and thrushes love the berries that follow. If you are lucky enough to have waxwings visit - they love the berries too.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,191
    I am planning to plant some at the back of my allotment to deter intruders. It's fairly shady there but I hear they cope well in most conditions. 
  • ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 68
    I'm facing a cotoneaster dilemma myself. I like that it's good for the birds and the bees, I dislike how it looks and that it cuts my not particularly large garden in two. I'm leaning towards cutting it in half.