Seed sowing now? Too hot?

I have collected and am in the process of collecting more flowering seeds now.  I have a "cold" greenhouse which has no shade. The temperature in there is 25 degrees today.  I want to sow some of my collected and packeted seeds now i.e. foxgloves, knapweed, Harebells etc.  but the packets say the ideal temp. should be 15 - 20 degrees. Should I put the seed trays outside in a shady place and hope for the best or let them bake in the greenhouse?

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206
    I dont have any real knowledge on this subject but you could experiment and try a few each way and note the results if you can afford to lose a few seeds..
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • Yes, I could try that approach NewBoy, I have already sown them in the module trays and they are outside the greenhouse at the moment awaiting their final destination.  It isn't so much the seed I don't mind losing a few, but the seed compost/perlite isn't cheap is it?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,053
    I sowed some in the shade outside and some germinated very quickly.
    My GH was too hot for anything except desert plants until today
  • Yes, you are right nutcutlet - I couldn't spend more than a few quick minutes in the GH until today - even so with the doors, windows and lights wide open.  I think a shady outdoor place would be far more tolerant to encourage the seeds to germinate in.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,719
    @Guernsey Donkey2if anything doesn’t germinate for me, I just put something else in the same compost, never waste any. Sometimes I get a nice surprise and the original seeds germinate as well. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Yes shade sounds good although the last few days have been much cooler