Forum home Problem solving

Hebe with half bare stems

I inherited a hebe (don't know the variety) from my mum last March. I moved it from Dorset to Manchester. It is in a pot on my sunny sheltered patio. Last summer it was fine & flowered nicely. This year it is bare on the lower half of the stems & it only had a couple of flowers. Just starting to get some new growth lower down but not really happy with how it looks. Any suggestions about how to improve it? Thank you

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629

It probably dropped the lower leaves this year due to either the cold spring or the hot dry weather!

I think your options are either to leave it and hope that the new growth fills in the gaps, or prune back the longer branches to encourage more growth from lower down.  With the second option it'll look worse before it gets better.  Either way, keep it well-watered (but not sodden) and maybe give it a feed (something balanced, if you want to encourage leafy growth)

I've tried Hebes similar to that one before and for me (Doncaster, so about as far North as you but further East) they don't survive the winter outdoors unless it's an extremely mild one, so you might want to keep it somewhere frost-free over the winter.

• Thanks Jenny for your advice. I will try your helpful suggestions. I didn't realise that it needed protectíng from frost. Unfortunately I have nowhere to keep it frost free for the winter but will try to protect it this year.