Septembers Spiders Book In early

I know that house spiders usually "arrive " in September but this year they are a month early.
The ones with the tiny bodies and really long legs and a couple of tiny red ones that I dont recognize from past years
As the weather influences the behavior of our plants it must also affect our "house guests "
Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,882
    I was told last year that when the males have fed/grown enough they come inside. This year there are some very small ones of that type coming in too and yes early but I must say that unlike other years I haven't had a clear month.
  • I'm getting the great big ones coming in as well.  I guess they are now big enough to think of mating cos there's been plenty of food about.  

I have to be careful with the dog as he likes to chase and bite them but then spits them out. And they aren't always dead when he does.   Which means I have to dispatch them quick and I hate doing it.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,586
    My house always has spiders - too many nooks & crannies, and I hate to hoover them up, which as daughter says, you have to do if you don't want them to make more!
    The big Tegenarias move in when it gets chilly outside, any in the bath just get moved to a suitable large houseplant.
    Much prefer having spiders to flies.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,150
    There is as we know a pecking order in Nature and I am reminded of what cats think when they look at us.
    " If I was bigger I would eat you "  >:)
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • I always get that impression with chickens.  Sometimes you look at one and you can see the raptor looking back.   
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,586
    My cats always like to sleep on top of me. I regard it as resource protection!
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 496
    edited August 2018
    My dog, George, likes to sleep on a pile of blankets in the corner of my bedroom.  He can arrange them just how he wants them.  

Last night, he leapt up from a sound sleep and ran out of the room.  Then he came back in and stared, on full alert, at the wall.   I couldn't see anything but there was something freaking him out.  

He spent the rest of the night on the bed with me.  

I think one of the big fellas must have walked over him and woke him up.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,248
    I love having all-year-round spiders in the house (keep eating those mozzies!) and on the upper floor any webs above eye level get left in place. When we have guests I feel obliged to clear them out in their bedrooms - but the eight-legged ones soon get spinning again when the humans have left.