Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wildflower Lawn

13»

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875
    What about a wild rose for that top right corner; good for wildlife and adds colour too.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,896
    edited August 2018
    ... or you could do a red clover lawn. Just clover. No cutting, evergreen, great for bees.
  • Paul165Paul165 Posts: 57
    I like the idea of a clover lawn. What is the Downside? Has anyone tried this or can you point me to image examples? 
  • Paul165Paul165 Posts: 57

What about this seed product (haven't copied the link)

"Red & White EcoClover Lawn

A tough, well proven mixture which provides a dense and resilient turf and added protein of red and white clovers . Ideal for the country cottage look Great for poultry rabbits and other small animals Sowing early spring through to late autumn Ivisons Cottage Lawn Mix Very good ground cover , Robust pasture even in wet weather. Great for Country Cottage Lawns Self Feeding High Nitrogen Mix consists of: A mix of Dwarf Amenity Ryegrass and Strong Creeping Red fescue and 5% mixed red and white clovers. Sowing Rates New Lawn Sowing Rates 50g Per m2 Coverage Overseeding Sowing Rate 35g Per m2 Sowing Spring - Late Autumn Before Frost March-October as a Guide Only."

Clovers are great in lawns; I encourage them but don't know if you could just have clovers.  My experience is that when the fertility is low the clovers creep in, sometimes a lot, but as the fertility improves due to the nitrogen fixing of the clover, the clover then dies out and the grass again takes over.....that seems to be the cycle.  I would always encourage clover, especially the red.  Bees like all of them.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233
    Whatever you go for Paul, the wildlife is going to love it with the ideas you have in mind. I have a lot of native wildflowers in my own garden, it's very satisfying and rewarding to know you are providing an oasis for pollinating insects...not to mention plants playing host to moth/butterfly larvae and giving cover to amphibians etc.

You may not have room or you might already have one, but while you're at it, consider a small pond? 
    Fishy65 said:

You may not have room or you might already have one, but while you're at it, consider a small pond? 
    A pond with native plants is the very best thing you can do to encourage wildlife in your garden.