Gardener's World bee nest

Saw this and was hoping to buy it but have read articles before about insect/bee hotels etc. potentially doing more harm than good with pests and what not.

I'd be hoping a GW one would be a safe bet but does anyone have experience of using them at all? This one would just be sat on the ground in a flower bed which is what appealed.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,987
    Hi Dirty Harry. I don't wish to crush your enthusiasm but I'm not sure it would work. I've had a bee hotel used by leaf cutter bees and tree bumble bees built a nest in one end of my sparrow terrace. Even with its discount that one is quite expensive. You could use a terracotta plant pot and provided you improvised some shelter to prevent rain getting in the drainage hole on the top, it might be worth trying. The bunble bee conservation trust suggests getting some cleanish bedding from some one who keeps mice as pets as the bees are attracted to the mouse smell.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    I have one here but no such luck with bumbles yet, I paid £15 from a garden centre. LB is correct re: mice scent indeed, you can find tutorials on YouTube on how to create one cheaply - with a tube pipe 
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 603
    We have several bumble bee nests, the place they like best is under the barn floor, they get in via cracks in the concrete, I'm sure it smells of mice down there!
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,987
    How very nice for you Skandi. I do love watching the bees coming and going.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable