Forum home Garden design

.self binding gravel

Has anyone used this and, if so, for what applications please?  Would it be a suitable choice (in place of ordinary loose gravel) for the basis of a gravel garden/walkways?

Thsnks.

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,628
    I have seen it used, but not sure how long term use will wear it. I prefer resin bonded as it is stable and porous so no ice in winter.
  • I have been thinking about some radical changes for my garden.  I'm close to 60, so not exactly decrepit but with a few health problems I'm finding my cottage garden more of a struggle each year.  I would love to keep the 'look' but really need to create something lower maintenance.

We already have a lot of grasses (and flowering perennials) and my thought was to increase these, ridding ourselves of the lawn (and many of the other plants that are demanding of time and work) which is nothing more than a 5' wide twisty path down the garden anyway, and to use gravel quite extensively, heavily planted with grasses and a few low(ish) maintenance perennials.

My concern is that I'm not sure how easy gravel is to maintain and I have seen what started out as quite a 'pretty picture' turn into a muddy mess, gravel disappearing into soil and the whole lot clagged up with fallen leaves (we have a number of trees) that are not easy to remove from a gravelled surfsce.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,520
    It makes good paths but does need to be packed down hard, preferably with a whacker plate.  Some good info here:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you.. I will have a read.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,058

It is usually more often used for drives and heavy wear paths. It's called "self-binding" because it also contains smaller particulates which pack down around the larger gravel bits.  If you laid a goodly depth of gravel onto a substantial membrane, that might stop it being trod into mud, but I wouldn't call it low maintainance, especially if you have trees nearby - it's a nightmare getting the leaves picked up - sorry!

I'm in the same boat as you and am thinking of cutting down on some of my perennials and substituting for small flowering shrubs instead.

That why I went for a resin patio as the door from the conservatory goes straight onto it. It can be layed flat or sloped, mine has a brick edge so if you want to raise the hight of your beds that would be possible. It also can be easily curved so a wandering path would work. How about the area of grass being made into an area to sit with this system.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,282
    I have a gravel path and it is uneven,waterlogged in winter,gets covered in leaves in the autumn which cannot be swept up and gets weedy so all in all a bit of a pain!
    There are many gardens,patios and driveways round here that have used the resin bonded gravel and it looks really good so I may well get my own path done!!!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
    Best thing I ever did @madpenguin As the winter after I did the neighbour fell on icy pavers injuring his shoulder. 
  • I do really like the look of resin bonded gravel ...my neighbour has a new driveway with this and it looks lovely.  Unfortunately it is way beyond my budget and even if it weren't, I don't think it would work for informal paths, in and around plants.

At about £60 a square meter it depends how much you need doing, but when you add together the costs of gravel, edging, rent of whacker, time taken it soon adds up.