Forum home Plants

Buddleia cuttings?

VegplotmummyVegplotmummy East MidlandsPosts: 96
Hi all,

Is it too late to take cuttings now? 

Cheers

• I want to take cuttings of some of my perennial plants too, but I feel that it is far too hot to do that now.  In fact I don't think they would take.  However if you feel the need to try Vegplotmummy then I would strongly recommend that you put the cuttings in the shade either in a pot or directly into the soil, remove almost all the leaves from the cutting and water well - what do others suggest?
  • VegplotmummyVegplotmummy East MidlandsPosts: 96
    Thanks @Guernsey Donkey2 The reason I asked was I've just taken my 2 little ones to our local park and I've spotted 2 of the plants. Didn't even know they were there! Bonus 😁
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,872
    edited August 2018
    Yes,too late,  Most shoots will be flowering now and you want semi ripe unflowered shoots.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,611
    And preferably permission since they're not yours.  Better to wait till spring when the parks gardeners do the annual prune and ask them for a few bits.  They'll root quickly enough at that time of year.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanks @fidgetbones will have to remember where they are. 
    @Obelixx I live in a rural village, we don't have park gardeners! lol tbh were lucky to have a playground
    Sorry sent that too early, thats what little toddlers fingers do 🙈. It's a community area run by the local committee. Everyone knows everyone in this village. If you trump too loud someone will know it's you!!! 🤣🤣🤣
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 203
    Strewth. I find it pops up everywhere in my garden via self-seeding, despite my best endeavours. 
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
    😂😂 I plan to use it in my cutting garden @ChrisWM so it shouldn't get the chance to self seed  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,349
    Do you mean cutting - as in flowers for the house VPM? They don't last in water for any length of time. 
    If you want a specific variety VPM - better to ask someone on the forum if they can do you a bit. They'll take at almost any time of year in my experience.  :)

I take it you mean the common one Chris  - the pale lilac ones that grow everywhere. The named varieties aren't invasive in the same way - unless you cut a bit off and leave it in the ground  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yes @Fairygirl It's for vases in the house. I've read they make good cutting flowers? I just assumed I would have to seal the stems to stop the droop. 
    It's a white one, is there only two white varieties? Profusion and Bouquet? Do you know how to tell the difference in the varieties? 
    That's good to know a cutting could take anytime, worth a try then isn't it.