Forum home Wildlife gardening

Common lizard

A couple of days ago as I was weeding and clearing an area in my garden when I came across a small brown "thingy" creeping around the stones and had to pick it up and move it to safety. I wasn't sure to begin with whether it was a newt or lizard but having checked on www. have decided it was a juvenile common lizard. I am delighted to have them in the garden, they are so cute with their tiny fingers and are good pest controllers. It is the first I have seen since moving to England 40 yrs ago from Guernsey. We used to see them sunbathing when walking the cliff paths, bright green diddy little ones, sand lizards I think. I know I have slow worms but rarely see them, unless the cat brings one home. Little beast! Along with all of the small brown furries she brings home as presents for Mum.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,159
    I do love lizards!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    That's a great sighting. I've seen one in 26 years here. It was this year so I'm hopeful for the future
  • Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    We have quite a number at the allotments you see them sunbathing if your lucky but normally just see them scurry away as you disturb them by accident, we also have a good number of slow worms, both very welcome as natural pest control.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256
    They are lovely, I bumped a stone while mowing! When I went to fit it back in position there were two common lizards underneath. They always stay very still.
  • karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230
    Aww wow, what a find! I have no chance of finding such a treasure in Wigan :/ I keep reptiles etc as pets but it's so much nicer to watch and enjoy animals in their natural environment.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 806
    I think I have seen only 3 in the garden since we have been here, about 10 years. Then yesterday I pulled a weed up, dislodged a small rock and there was a lizard underneath and TINY gosh so small. Agree with you JG the little fingers oh so cute! 
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 741
    How lovely, have never seen a lizard in the wild in the uk. I know we have them nearby here, friends get them in their gardens so I live in hope
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 158
    If you are unsure of the identification between Common Lizard and a Newt sp then only very, very rarely will you be able to catch or pick up a Common Lizard as they are extremely fast. All newts are slow.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,456
    Very young common lizards can be surprisingly docile especially if they're cold. I sometimes find them on early morning walks before they've had a chance to rev up in the sun and they'll happily sit on you and steal your warmth. This one was tiny.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,502
    It's years since I've seen a lizard in the UK ... used to see them when I was a child ... especially around Dunwich, Walberswick, Minsmere .
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh