Forum home Wildlife gardening

Fish deaths in my pond

Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 57
Hi Each,

I live in Hackney, London - and the temperature got to 38c today. I lost several fish - I think for two reasons, not enough oxygen, and also the amount of fallen leafs that in this heat break down in a matter of days, in the pond.

Anyone else had some fish pass away in this heat?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,204
    Not this year. It was only 23°C here today, but in the past yes.

After the death of two young fish, I installed two solar powered air stones which keep the water aerated. Also, when the sun is on the pond on a hot day, I place a piece of plywood over it to keep the sun off. Also, make sure that the pump and filter are clean and circulating the water correctly.

Finally, is the pond deep enough? Unless it’s about a metre deep at some point there won’t be a reservoir of cooler water at the bottom.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    That's the way to do it.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    I too have solar powered air stones,plenty of sun to keep them going all day!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 248
    pansyface said:
    Not this year. It was only 23°C here today, but in the past yes.

After the death of two young fish, I installed two solar powered air stones which keep the water aerated. Also, when the sun is on the pond on a hot day, I place a piece of plywood over it to keep the sun off. Also, make sure that the pump and filter are clean and circulating the water correctly.

Finally, is the pond deep enough? Unless it’s about a metre deep at some point there won’t be a reservoir of cooler water at the bottom.
    Solar powered air stones eh? How good are they? I've been looking for ways to make my pond near silent in the day. I find the return pipe noise a tad too loud sometimes.
    There is a hum but I cover the box with stones which lessens it a bit.

The happiness of the fish at being able to swim through the bubbles more than compensates for the noise.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    We have an electric pump and the sound of water trickling and splashing is very pleasant. However, one does not have to keep fish but if one does, it is only reasonable to care for them properly and not allow them to suffer or die, in my opinion.
    Exactly.
    You do become quite fond of them and their little ways. And as they get bigger, you begin to notice different personalities.

• karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230
    Aww no, sorry to hear that Jack1974, you must be devastated. We've not had those kinds of temperatures but I've covered most of my pond anyway with tarpaulin because of the pea soup algae battle, even with a strong pump and filter. I hope you're able to save any surviving fish. I thought I'd lost the majority of mine due to a visit from a heron and was really upset (found a large koi dead on the grass and saw none but 3 out of approx 17 coming to feed) but about 2 months on they've all found their nerve to come to the surface again to feed. My pond is about 3 feet deep too so I imagine it's cooler on the bottom.