Forum home Problem solving

Wisteria

advice please.  Our wisteria has gone crazy this year. We usually prune in January and August as per all advice. But this year hardly any flowers and we had to reduce the long trailing shoots in May. In late July I bought forward the ‘6 bud trim’. It now needs doing again!   What are we doing wrong? Is it just the crazy weather?  

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,364
    You're doing nothing wrong. You've just got a very happy wisteria.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045
    Just keep cutting it back to a shape and size that suits you and the space.  I have to do it all summer with my pair.   In winter, when it's naked, you can fine tune the pruning to promote flowers.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,156
    I have been hacking off the whippy bits. In response it has sent out a couple of flowers.. in August.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • PotwomanPotwoman Posts: 70
    Thanks to all.   Very helpful. And reassuring 👍🏻
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045
    Both mine are flowering at the mo but their initial flush was a month late cos of the beast so maybe they're just making up for it.    It was hot and dry last summer too so not the heat.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Nick74Nick74 Posts: 44
    Mine is on it's third flowering this year! Had loads of racemes in spring, one not particularly cold night (in my opinion) destroyed all bar 1 raceme! Had 2 racemes flower in early July, and have just spotted another today!