Forum home Wildlife gardening

Just bought a pond....

ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 577
edited August 2018 in Wildlife gardening
Just purchased a small pond  its called a RUdd: https://www.gardensite.co.uk/aquatics/lotus-instant-pond-rudd-100-x-168-x-42cm-preformed-pond.htm

I have gone for preformed because I wanted something robust. 

I have not dug the hole yet, but it has to be sited in partial shade from an apple tree - no choice here. I shall not be using any electrics. 

I would like a wildlife pond and am hoping to attract newts and frogs - we already have a toad. I have decided not to have fish.

It's small and I want to keep it to British wildlife features. I am wondering about best oxygenating plants 

I have conflicting advice about the bottom of the pond, some say start with a little clean gravel other say nothing

I understand there are possibilites for mulluscs and snails too which would be interesting....

At the homework stage at present.  Any please suggestions re oxygenators and introduced wildlife? 

Z

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,086
    Digging out the hole for a preformed pond will be hard, if it's under a tree...
    I didn't put anything in the base of mine - by the time you have plants in there, there will be some soil and debris in the bottom. You'll need a net, or similar, to keep all the foliage from the tree clogging it up too.
    Good cover nearby for wildlife is important. Things like grasses which provide all year round cover, are good. I've got some heucheras, and a corkscrew rush, plus some caltha [marsh marigold- the white variety] and ferns. Tall spires like irises are also good for emerging dragonflies etc.
    Many of us have used Puddleplants for our pond plants, and I've also used Waterside. Merebrook is also very highly regarded. :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,863
    edited August 2018
    My preformed pond that went in Sept 2016 - about the same size as yours - and also has 1 end under a (dwarf) apple tree

I've just bought the yorkstone on the left, it's too hot to put in the right place atm...

Just realized mine is 7ft long..
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 577
    nice Pete
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811
    edited August 2018
    All the critters want is somewhere to swim and somewhere to hide around the pond.

Just keep the pond clear of weed

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pond+weed+types&rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB751GB751&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj93Of3k8_cAhWOM-wKHb-QDo4QsAR6BAgEEAE&biw=1280&bih=891

You can put some snails in and a stone with the top just above the surface for birds and things to perch on.

Frogs only go into water to breed 

Many years of pleasure ahead............dont forget about keeping very young children safe
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 577
    Newboy thankyou. yes I have been thinking about a grandchild, if necessary I  shall put a metal grid over it
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,863
    You can get ideas for the right plants from online nurseries - you don't have to buy from them e.g. https://www.puddleplants.co.uk/
    They'll need good sunlight to thrive.
    My plants done very little the first year and I lost a few. So best to start off with some easy ones until your pond matures in a year or so. 
    I got lots of tips and ideas from this forum when I started mine  - and still do :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,868
    It's a good idea to have some way for wildlife (like hedgehogs) to climb out if they fall in.  I don't think your pond has a shallow end - but a marginal plant in an aquatic pot on bricks, with the top at the level of the water surface and next to the pond edge, would work.
    I once found a hedgehog drowned in a bucket of water...   :s
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Even though my little pond is half beach (full of stones) my little frogs have really problems getting out. They don't swim round, but try and jump out of the deep end. I keep telling them that there are pebbles and stones right behind them, running down into the water, (and shells and all sorts of handy climbing things) they don't seem to get it. It worries me that they are so dense. They wouldn't stand much of a chance trying to scramble if a bird swooped down for lunch. A bit of a puzzle.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    Is your pebble beach quite exposed @fire ? It may be that they are trying to get out where there is more cover, they are pretty nervy. Some planting overgrowing the beach area might help
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,700
    Hi Zero zero,I will be very interested in how you get on with your pond as I've just put one in about two weeks ago.I've put in 3 different plants,one is a marsh marigolds,in a basket on the ledge,and some floating lettuce,with the inevitable duck weed! That came free with the snails!! I've got a smallish rotting log pile,one branch of which goes down into the water for critters to get out.I've put big stones round the edge(to cover the plastic ledge)plus other rocks making tiny (caves) to hide in!
    If anyone reading this thinks I've missed something please let me know!😁
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.