Forum home Problem solving

Fuschia's die on me, Cause?

2»

• ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 576
    edited August 2018
    Fuschias are dead now (aug) With advice from this thread I shall be leaving fuschia for next year. I shall leave them out of the greenhouse and hope they survive
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,170
    If you leave them out of the greenhouse all winter, they will only survive if they are hardy varieties. You said you were growing greenhouse/ hanging basket varieties, so many of them may not be hardy.
    You could leave them outside somewhere cool and shady until it starts to get colder, but then they will need to be under cover.
    I love fuchsias and have lots in my greenhouse. It gets quite warm in there, but I leave the bubblewrap up above the fuchsias and there is coolglass shading as well. The door has been open and so have the louvres and roof lights through this last hot spell.
    They stand in gravel trays to help keep a damp atmosphere and I water at the first sign of wilting. If one does get missed and get a bit shrivelled (it happens even to the best of us!) it usually recovers as long as it isn't completely dried up.
    Good luck with yours :)
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    vine weevils do like fuchsia roots, have you checked the ground when they die for little white grubs?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,888
    Keep them in shade a bit, never in black pots, plenty of water, don’t bring them into the GH until first frosts.  Make sure you pot on regularly, don’t pack the compost, they like free roots. Could be several reasons why yours die,  without seeing what you do it’s very difficult to say. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,508
    Mine over winter in a cold greenhouse. Of the six in there last winter( which was unusually cold and snow into late spring), two never seemed to die off completely,  two never recovered and of the last two one started to grow as soon as it warmed slightly, but the other looked dead. As the tubs they were in were not needed till bedding plants time they were put to one side, two weeks later went to sort them out and found small shoots at ground level. So always give them a chance.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,888
    That’s what they do, then you cut all the old growth off.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,508
    The very cold weather did kill two that were a couple of years old but the others survived