Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird song ID

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,007
What small bird makes a very loud continuous peep peep peep..... sound?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850
    Often a distressed female blackbird makes that sort of noise - it can seem to go on forever.
    Seems like a lot of things distress them
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,007
    There is a cat under the bush in the garden. But this peep is very high pitched. It doesn't seem blackbirdlike
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850
    If it's really high-pitched I know the sound you mean - goes right through you.
    I've seen the little bird about the size of a tit peeping away, but without my specs (which I rarely wear) I can't tell what it is
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 577
    We have a robin that does this when cat's are about. The male goes from the nest and then makes a racket to attract atttention to itself

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,262
    edited August 2018
    My guess would be a young wren. I've got lots of them this year.
    One single high pitched " squeak " then a few second then another?
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,092
    My first thought was also a young wren.  We've got several around here ... it seems to have been a good year for them. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I thought it might be a s ten because I saw one flying about, but when I checked with Mr Google, it sounded warbly.
    We have robins wrens and blackbirds.
    The blackbird distress sounds more tic tic tic.
    I've never noticed a robins distress call.
    But I think I'll go for the wren as they're noisy little b#####s
    Thanks everybody
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,262
    The adult wren is a beautiful "warbly" song, but the young ones, fresh from the nest do the single "squeak" kinda thing.
    Devon.
    It seems like an awful waste of energy, but I suppose they know what they're doing.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,830
    This time of year you'll get a lot of young birds in loose family flocks making peeping contact calls. It's different from the usual songs as they're just keeping in touch. It's similar to the mixed flocks of small birds you see working through woodland in the winter. You get all kinds of tits, nuthatches, tree creepers etc working as one flock and they all make constant contact calls to keep the flock together. I guess it saves having to look around all the time to see where your flock mates are and you can spend the time looking for predators and food.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people