Forum home Garden design

Garden Design Book Recommendation

We've just moved into a house and the garden is, pretty much, a blank canvas.  118 feet of grass (covered with weeds), and with half a dozen shrubs and an oak sapling, which I will move.  Can anyone recommend a book which will help me to design the garden from scratch.  I am looking to design a vegetable garden at the rear, with shed, compost heap and greenhouse with a patio directly at the back of the house followed by a small lawn with cottage garden style boarders leading to the vegetable patch.  It's my first garden in over ten years and whilst excited to begin am anxious that I get it right.  Thanks. :smiley:

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,097
    Try Alan Titchmarsh's two books on Small Gardens and Garden Design - very easy to understand with lots of ideas.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,259
    Carol Klein's 'Making a Garden'.

NB - don't be anxious about 'getting it right'. With gardens, there is no right and wrong, there's only what you like and what you don't 
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,097
    Well said Raisingirl!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,710
    Anything by John Brookes. 
    I also like Robin Williams. 
    It's best to garner some ideas of what you like and don't like, simply by looking at lots of photos from all sorts of sources.
    You've already outlined some of things you need - and that's the best start. Work out the aspect and the type of soil etc, and note anything that can influence it, like other buildings, hedges, trees and so on. You'll be half way there    :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• VegplotmummyVegplotmummy East MidlandsPosts: 96
    I have 3 design books, Alan titchmarsh, Matt James " How to plant a garden" and the rhs encyclopedia of garden design. All good for different reasons. 
    I would suggest going and visiting a few gardens that are near you on the open garden scheme. This will give you some ideas but also remember that like others have said there's no right or wrong when it comes to gardening. 
    Also be a bit nosey in your neighbours gardens this will give you an idea of what plants do really well. 
    Also everything takes time so don't rush and you will find you keep adding new ideas to the list, I'm adding a cut flower bed now, well i say bed its 27ft by 7ft!! 😂when it wasn't even on my list haha 
    Good luck and enjoy 👍
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,665
    If you're near any of the RHS gardens, they all have very good book selections . I'd say have a look and see what sort of things catches your eye. No point looking at "traditional" if you want cutting edge modern. 
    Look on amazon for some good second hand bargains.
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,656
    Also have a look in charity shops, the ones near us always seem to have a good range of gardening books. Some are quite old fashioned,  but there are more up to date ones as well.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,094
    Bit late to this, but I found Tim Newbury books very useful. The one I have is 'The Ultimate Garden Designer'. I've also just borrowed Carol Klein's 'Making a Garden' from the library. No idea what it's like yet but it's Carol Klein so bound to be good :).
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • KerweeyKerweey Posts: 16
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations and ideas - much appreciated.