Forum home Fruit & veg

Planting more climbing beans in the same place as the first planting.

I've had a lot of success with my climbing beans this year but they're now slowing down a bit. I have new plants ready to go in for a second crop (hopefully) so can I plant them in the same place as the first (after beefing up the soil a bit) or is that just asking for trouble. I do some some space on the allotment but it's not fully prepared just yet and I want to get them planted as soon as possible.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    edited August 2018
    You should be fine to grow more in the same place.  They don't tend to get many soil-borne diseases, which is why you are advised to rotate plantings of veg - but peas & beans are included in a normal rotation because they add nitrogen to the soil, which is useful to other crops.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,679
    I have occasionally sown a second crop of peas and beans in the same bed in the same year, so also think you will be fine.
  • I imagine it's not something you should do every year though?
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • Many thanks everyone. This is definitely a 'one off'. I tend two plots and shouldn't really be in this position.  I need to be better prepared and try to plan ahead a bit more.
  • My climbing French beans go in the same spot every year; last 10+ years. I remove a spade full of old soil and add compost before planting. They have always done well.