Sprinklers

We are looking to replace our broken sprinkler. Before I spend hours on review sites, can anyone recommend a good sprinkler that will cover a decent area at a time? Thanks 😊

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,287
    This is my best sprinkler. It's ancient and now sometimes jams in one position, but I wind tape round it to cover ever second hole and that make the water pressure higher in the other holes and so covers a MUCH larger area.
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,760
    I use it at little as possible, but I've got one of these that works well.
    Ultimately it depends on your water pressure and length of hose.
    I also had a connector that stops the water when you pull them apart. I found that was causing a big drop in water pressure, when I replaced it with a normal connector there was a big difference.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    @Pete8 I got one of those from Waitrose at the end of summer a couple of years ago, but I don't rate the coverage much. Useful if you want to "aim" it though.
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,760
    I'd guess mine covers an area about 15ft x 15ft - depending on your water pressure etc
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    I think my adapted one must cover about 40ft x 40ft.
    Devon.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,038
    I have one of these
    Hozelock Rectangular Garden Sprinkler Pro 230 Sq M - 2976P0000

But then my garden is not particularly big. I think if you really need to cover a big area then you need something more like this, BUT I think you need good water pressure for them to operate properly.
    Metal Two Way Spike with an Impulse Part  Full Sprinkler Head
    AB Still learning

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,602
    The one in Hostafan's photo is a Hozelock model.  I have one too and it gives great coverage.  Our garden is roughly 30 feet wide and I used the sprinkler when we had a new lawn laid.  We have good water pressure and even at the end of a 100 foot hose the spray covered the entire width of the garden and a couple of feet up the fences at the side.  Much easier to work out the area being covered with that style of sprinkler as it's roughly rectangular, than with the spinning ones with a circular pattern.
  • DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730
    I have the same one as Allotment Boy and have used it a lot to encourage my lawn,  sown at the end of April, to survive. It didn't cover the whole fairly big area and I had to keep moving it. Inclined to jam in one position rather than keep oscillating but a new connector helped. I also have very hard water so have had to poke the holes out a couple of times. It's done the job though, grass is lovely and green :)
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 201
    I endorse the previous posts re the Hozelock one. A slight tweak of the tap results in a big difference of coverage, and vice versa. I’ve found it to be good value for money. 
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
  • [Glen][Glen] Posts: 53
    edited August 2018
    I think soaker hoses are generally better than sprinklers because they waste less water, cannot spray people in the garden, and deliver water to plant roots.

For sprinklers I like Gardena, particularly the Comfort Vario model because it can be manipulated to avoid wetting seating areas.