Forum home Problem solving

Mares tail

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,335
Hi all, my sister has a property she rents out and wants to sell it. She has found a heavy infestation of mares tail in the communal bed and wants to remove it before sale. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

• KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,841
    She won't be able to eradicate marestail in the time it normally takes to sell a property.  She can pull it out, which over time will weaken it, or use a product called Kurtail which claims it will kill marestail but takes numerous applications. 
  • soulboysoulboy Posts: 429
    I agree with KT53 about the timescale but pulling it out to weaken a significant infestation will not eradicate it as the roots can be up to 2m deep and will grow back from them, even the smallest piece of root left will produce new growth.

The only solution is repeated applications of a systemic weedkiller. This can take a long time, especially with large infestations. It took me 2 years.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,431
    I suggest she speaks to her solicitor as " disclosure" rules may mean she's obliged to mention it to prospective buyers. 
    I might be wrong , but I'd hate to buy a house then find out the previous owners had hidden that little nugget of information from me.
    Devon.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,335
    Will do, it's a communal garden in a small block of flats so even if she clears "her" patch I don't know if it will just reappear. I suggested weedkiller and a thick membrane to suppress the growth but I know it's usually a long job. Thanks for the advice 
    To the best of my knowledge marestail is not notifiable like Japanese Knotweed, it's just b****y annoying.  No reason to declare it any more than bindweed.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    edited August 2018
    Just strim it down before sale. It's not notifiable so no issues there. Some weeds aren't going to put anyone off so just strim them off and focus on more important things.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    edited August 2018
    Re Mares Tail

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/1989/ammonium-sulphamate-weed-killer-banned/

This is interesting with regard to the testing of Kurtail hebicide. which was banned,  essentially because no one could fund the testing of Ammonium Sulphamate . 

The argument is essentially that the product is probably less hazardous than glyphosate.  The irony is it can be used as a  compost accellerator 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

Kurtail is still available so I'm not sure what point is being made in the post above.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    As far as I can see Kurtail is still not licenced as a herbicide. in the U.K I have been trying to establish the exact position. If anyone can verify this I would be pleased. 

I am off to paint the invasive Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' in my border black.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• hayley.pearsonhayley.pearson LincolnshirePosts: 1
    My parents had loads of marestail at their house when they were trying to sell it, it spread all over the driveway from the neighbours garden next door. The poor elderly guy has gone a bit insane so didn't look after the garden anymore.

We used a product called Pearl to get rid of it in both gardens after calling a weed company Agrigem for advice, the technical guy (I think he was called Ollie) was really helpful and talked us through exactly what to do, worked out all the maths for us on how much to use etc. 

They sold the house without a sight of marestails and it hasn't returned this year either last time I drove past!