Forum home The potting shed

Hello Forkers August 2018

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,559
    I had been on HRT for 10 years the doctor said it’s been proven that it causes strokes and I was to come off of it at once, which I did and  didn’t notice any difference. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Great news for the family LP  and a bit of a weight off your mind too.
    SW Scotland
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,283
    Great news LP.   Pat - love your observer.   Busy - good look with the cleaning and all.  It really does help sell so do get the offspring in gear to remove stuff they want to keep and then bin or sell or give away the rest accordingly.  Helps potential buyers see space and envision their own stuff in the rooms and that's half the battle.

Feeling wiped out here.  Having had a day of rest yesterday, including a dose I went to bed before midnight and slept thru till 8:30 and then dozed off again after coffee.  Should have got up and got moving.

Anyway, have spent over an hour watering all my treasures in pots and then had an avocado for lunch with some of OH's home-made gazpacho - not bad - I now need to shower and go and look for cheap curtain fabric for Possum's new living room.  15m needed cos, of course, the windows are higher than the last place and there are 3 of them so I have nothing that will do.  Typical.

It's warming up here but not humid so that's OK for quiet pottering.  I see the UK is heating up again.   Keep hydrated everyone.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 10,284
    I’m off to bed now. Hope your next day isn’t too hot. 

S. E. NSW
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,998
    Hello all.

Thanks again to all of you passing on advice and experience about UTIs.  I suspect drinking more is the key... I've had 3 bouts on holiday, when drinking enough is difficult because we're out walking and there aren't loos when you need them.  Anyone had experience using a "she-wee"??

It's our wedding anniversary.  I thought it was 44 years, OH has convinced me it's actually only 43.  Don't know where I got the extra year from...  we've just had a pub lunch, but will have a bit more of a celebration when we're in Ireland in a couple of weeks.  No point pushing the boat out when OH can't taste much (he's got a cold), and my antibiotics are making me fall asleep all the time.  Lunch was nice though.   :)

Obelixx, I recycle curtains too, from one house to another.  As you say, windows are never the same size... but I keep spares which "might come in handy" in a blanket box.  It's nice to find that the curtains I made for our first house in 1975, adapted recently for our Scottish cottage, have a pattern which my daughter now describes as "vintage" rather than merely old-fashioned.   :D
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Unfortunately Liri, Possum doesn't do "vintage".   Have found some plain, navy blue cotton (she likes blue and wanted dark to cut the light if anyone sleeps on the sofa bed) at 240cm wide and 12€90 a metre so 9 metres should do it with some left over for cushion covers....  I will not be lining them as she may only be there 2 years and the windows are double glazed and have a UV filter.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,767
    Evening all. Rain has gone off, after being on for most of yesterday and overnight, and a bit today, but the sky is leaden. Weirdly mild and humid though.
    BL - stay positive, although I know how tough it can be with the endless tidying/cleaning etc. Sometimes you can do everything, and it just comes down to a bit of luck. Fingers crossed for you.
    Liri - that's horrible for you. Not something I've ever suffered from, but the constant water drinking sounds a good solution. Happy Anniversary - what's a year or two between friends? ;)
    Lovely news for your family LP.  :)
    Nice pix Hosta - much better than the one on the Scottish news the other day. I won't link it - but it consists of a red squirrel and a plastic container. Don't think I need to say more   :'(
    I was looking at some beautiful photos and paintings on a couple of links from the John Muir Trust newsletter. Really stunning. Links below if anyone wants a look
     http://www.jacksonphotography.co.uk/gallery.html
    https://www.johnmuirtrust.org/our-work/wild-space-visitor-centre/current-exhibition
    I see Gunneras are rampaging on our islands too - smothering native plants.  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Sorry Liri.  Forgot to wish you a happy anniversary.   Good idea to celebrate it in Ireland if you're both below par now.    It'll be our 25th later this month.  No idea what we'll do to mark it.

FG - wet sounds good but not humid.  Not good with heavy air.  My gunnera isn't rampaging anywhere yet.  Now to go and look at your links.

Change of plan for dinner.  Set the oven to go off to cook arni kleftiko while we were out but it got its knickers in a twist.  Plan B then.   Greek fest tomorrow.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Beautiful pics Fairy.  That particular Gunnera is banned from sale from today.
    I read yesterday that the cost of the carpark at Arrochar may increase from 30p to £1 an hour.  A hefty price hike if it goes through.....you'll be running up and down the hills!
    SW Scotland
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,099
    Whoops!  I missed that it's Liri's anniversary ... Happy Anniversary both of you cocktailcocktail
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

This discussion has been closed.